Skip User Account Control not working

JST

CCleaner is presenting me with a UAC popup every time I log into Windows 11 even though I have selected Settings -> Advanced -> Skip User Account Control Warning.

This is extremely annoying! What do I need to do to make it stop doing this? Thank you!

• Moderators

It sounds like a permissions issue.

Are you using an admin or non-admin Windows user account? Did you 'Run CCleaner' from the installer?
If you don't do that then the required permissions may not be set correctly in Windows (particularly for a non admin account).
image.png

I would reinstall CCleaner being sure to leave that box ticked before clicking on finish.

You can download an installer from here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Double click the downloaded "ccsetup615.exe" to reinstall CCleaner, and run/open CCleaner from the install.
(There is no need to uninstall the old ccleaner first, but if you do then make a note of your Pro key first if you have Pro, because you will then need it to re-register the new install. If you don't uninstall it will pick up the key itself).

See if Skip UAC is now working for you.

PS. You may also want to tick 'Save all settings to INI file' while you are in the Advanced settings.
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you for getting back to me!

My user account on this computer has local admin rights, but I don't think I clicked "Run..." during the setup process. So, how can I restore the correct permissions?  Also. if "Run.." is required, why is there a checkbox to skip it in the first place? That should be fixed then, right?

I have marked "Save all settings to INI file" now and will report back if that makes any difference.

Last, but not least, I also did a reinstall with the latest version and guess what, the "Start..." option has disappeared and it is now mandatory to run the app at the end of setup. I am going to reboot now to see if the problem is gone. Wish me luck! :)

Edited by JST

• Moderators

I'm just going of what has been known to cause permission issues in the past.

Have you tried the reinstall with run yet?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I understand. Thank you again for trying to help!

Yes. I also did a reboot to see if the issue is gone. Sadly, it isn't.

If the developer is reading this forum: This needs to be fixed! Thank you!

• Moderators

A couple of  post seem to have gone missing here, (that might be my fault), but I did see your last one and I see what you said, it has been changed for the standard installer.

I Just downloaded a new standard installer and it has changed, possibly/probably because of that permissions issue.
(The advanced use Slim installer still gives the option that I screenshotted above).

image.png

Just for clarity:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled CCleaner Professional using the latest available version, but the annoying UAC popup issue on boot remains. So, the issue isn't resolved!

Hope to see a new version with a fix soon. Thank you!

• Moderators

I've had this happen myself a few times, following a Windows  Update.
The Windows update sometimes seems to mess something up with the Skip UAC setting.

Normally simply switching it off in CCleaner, closing and reopening, then switching it on again sorts it out.
But it doesn't always.

This particular UAC issue often fixes itself as a Windows  Update sorts itself out, or the next time that Windows updates.

Even when it says an update is complete Windows is still ticking away in the background, installing new modules and updating things, which can take some time.
(If you open Task Manager and let the machine sit there idle following an update you can see the various installer and service processes kick in and run).
And sometime it does need another Restart or two to get everything completely done.

If I can I'll leave a machine sat idle for an hour or two after a Windows update to let it finish what its doing, and then I'll do a restart.