CCleaner Professional Plus... Updating Drivers After Extending License Issue

arthurasrossi

Hey Everyone,

I have been using CCleaner for about 7 years now and I think it is a great program. I use it primarily to get and update drivers that Windows Update doesn't offer as every one of my machines is custom built and I seldom get driver usb or cds anymore... most companies require you to download these days.

Anyway today I updated CCleaner from Professional to Professional Plus, and after the update I noticed that some drivers also needed to be updated. So I went to update them all as I usually do and only the first driver that CCleaner chose showed the progress bar and went to 100%, then after about 10-20 seconds the CCleaner window closes and the CCleaner notification system never tells me its completed its update.

So now the CCleaner window closes automatically or hides, and the driver which updated to 100% never tells me its complete.

With that said, when I look at the taskbar and click on the "show hidden icons" to the right of the screen next to the clock, CCleaner is still running and so when I click on it, the window opens again and the driver that was allegedly updating, and went to 100% on the progress bar (prior to the CCleaner Window closing automatically), is STILL on the list of drivers that need to be updated. So I repeat the process and the CCleaner Window closes yet again (every time and I tried 7 times), the same thing happens when I repeat the process above.

I also tried to update each driver independenly and the same thing STILL happens regardless of whether I select only one driver to update or I try to update them all in bulk. The point is that this sort of thing should not be happening with CCleaner. The program has worked for nearly a decade without any issues.

Now For The Specs I Am Running On This Rig:

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i9-10980XE CPU @ 3.00GHz, 128GB RAM

CCleaner Professional (with a CCleaner Professional Plus License Key) Version 6.14.10584 (64-bit)

Now before I get a million questions about whether I just updated over an existing installation... the first time YES I did update over my exisiting installation of CCleaner Professional. Then I got the issues above and well you know what happened... So then, I uninstalled CCleaner, restarted my computer, and reinstalled CCleaner Professional Plus and the problem above still persists. So this is not an issue with me reinstalling a clean install of CCleaner because I have. 

However, I did notice that my license key information was still intact, meaning I didn't have to re-enter it during the reinstallation of the clean install process. This means that it probably saved in the registry in an area that Windows did not remove during the uninstallation process. This shouldn't matter but I am bringing it to your attention as well.

Edited by arthurasrossi
Missing Information

• Moderators

There is no difference in functionality between Pro and Pro Plus.

The 'Plus' is the number of machines licenced, and also licences Pro for other Piriform softwares on those machines.

A CCleaner icon in the hidden section of the system tray indicates that you have 'Smart Cleaning' or 'Automatically update CCeaner' (or both) enabled.

So it comes down to the drivers.

What drivers are they?

What version does CCleaner say is installed and what version does it say is available?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I am not trying to be rude but seriously, I mentioned the issue above in explicit detail. Nothing was left out (from what happened, what my actions were, and the process I tried to fix things). I'm not going to list all the drivers, I have a screenshot of them below. I mentioned in my first post what version of CCleaner I am using:  Version 6.14.10584 (64-bit)

If there is someone who can help with this issue, then please by all means I appreciate your assistance. However try and refrain from asking me information I have already provided as it is frustrating for any customer to have to repeat themselves in text multiple times and I would like to remedy this in as little time as possible.

Thank you for understanding.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 123707.png

• Moderators

I asked for information that you had NOT provided. (And explained another few issues that you HAD mentioned).

You have now provided the requested information. Thank you.

Please bear in mind that this is a user forum, all of us here are users.

If you want official support then email support@ccleaner.com

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Resolution For Anyone Else Having This Issue

This issue was resolved after trying everything I could think of:

I am using Vipre Internet Security and when disabled the "Active Protection" (not to be confused with the firewall), CCleaner Professional Plus updated the drivers as normal. I never had to do this before, but now that I found a work-around, I hope that this might help some other people having similar issues as it could be your Virus/ Internet Security preventing CCleaner from updating your drivers.

image.png

• Moderators

Thanks for the update, it may help other users who have that particular Antivirus app.

It is not unusual that Antivirus apps sometimes interfere with the functioning of CCleaner.

That is simply because some of the system areas that CCleaner needs to access to perform certatin functions can be regarded as "sensitive".
If the AV in question (sometimes just  a particular AV definitions update) doesn't know that CCleaner is trusted to access that system location then it will throw a block.