New install, several problems.

Anthony A

I already started a thread about Ewido not showing up in my options. I have a few other issues so I will start a new thread about them.

1) Firefox Cookies. Whats happening here is that I select Firefox cookies and deselect everything else and run analyze. Many cookies show up but they are listed as removed even though I did not run CCleaner I only analyzed. When I go to Firefox the cookies have not been removed they are still there.

2) Under the windows tab-> system-> temporary files. When I analyze this section it lists many files but they are all listed as 0 bytes in size and the total size is also listed as 0 bytes. When I go to documents and settings/user name/local/temp the folder has about 100 MB in it.

3) Internet Explorer index dat files. When I analyze this section there are about 7 items listed for a total of 0 bytes. How can this be? I have never cleaned out this area since I owned the computer. Also some of the items listed are referring to IE5 which has never been installed on this machine.

I am running XP Home on a Dell laptop. I have the most recent slim version of CCleaner downloaded from the home page link.

Thanks for any help.

Just to update and clarify some.

The problem with the temp folder seems to be caused by the option to delete files older than 48 hours. If I uncheck that option than run analyze it lists all the files in the temp folder and the correct size of the data to be deleted. On the other computer I installed CCleaner on that is not a problem. Strange

As for the Firefox cookies I will try and explain that clearer. When I select Firefox cookies and than select analyze it lists the cookies but says they are removed. Looks like this, Removed Cookie:name of cookie. It does not delete the cookie (nor should it since I selected analyze not run). If I do the same for IE cookies it lists the full path to the cookie folder and the name of the cookie to be deleted and size. Also it will list the total amount of data to be deleted. Doesn't do this for Firefox cookies.

For Firefox cookies, I wouldn't worry that when just running the analyze feature that it shows the cookies as removed. As you are aware, they aren't actually removed.

The reason why FF cookies don't show the path and size, unlike Internet Explorer cookies is to do with how the cookies are stored by each program.

Firefox stores all its cookies in one text file, therefore it is impossible to say how much each cookie adds to the size of that text file (the amount would be so miniscule). With IE cookies, each cookie is displayed seperately in the Cookies folder with its size in kb, as well as forming part of the index.dat file.

I dare say the programmers could tweak CC to allow it to show the total size of the cookies text file in FF.

For Firefox cookies, I wouldn't worry that when just running the analyze feature that it shows the cookies as removed. As you are aware, they aren't actually removed.

The reason why FF cookies don't show the path and size, unlike Internet Explorer cookies is to do with how the cookies are stored by each program.

Firefox stores all its cookies in one text file, therefore it is impossible to say how much each cookie adds to the size of that text file (the amount would be so miniscule). With IE cookies, each cookie is displayed seperately in the Cookies folder with its size in kb, as well as forming part of the index.dat file.

I dare say the programmers could tweak CC to allow it to show the total size of the cookies text file in FF.

Thank you. So the Firefox cookie behaviour in CCleaner is normal. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug.

What about the IE index dat files? I thought this listed a log of every website visited? I only have 7 entries in the file when I run analyze and I have never cleaned this section out.

to display the contents of Internet Explorer temporary files, there is an option in the Advanced part of the main CCleaner interface. I'm not sure if it displays websites urls. rather it displays all the component parts of webpages viewed eg jpgs, gifs etc etc etc, plus cookies. XP seems to hide the index.dat file as well as as the content.ie5 folder in which it is stored. CCleaner does delete this file on startup though.

You can check the file has been deleted and recreated by running CCleaner, delete the index.dat and view your Temporary Internet folder from another user account (when the content.ie5 folders and index.dat file are visible). If you don't have another account set up on your computer, view this from the Administartor account in Safe Mode.

When recreated it is 32kb in size.