Trouble after trying ubuntu (Linux subset) on CD

Constable

No biggie, just a snag. I was curious and tried a CD containing Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu allows a user to try the system out without downloading or altering the current OS by running it and it's apps right off the CD. I tried it (and was very impressed, by the way) but after rebooting Windows and trying to run CCleaner, it hung up. I was forced to delete CC and reinstall it. When doing so, I lost all of my registry issue backups to date. I thought they were stored out of the CCleaner folder, but I guess not.

If anyone wants to try out the Ubuntu disk, it's free!!! Just go to Ubuntu.com and sign up to have one sent to you free of any charge, including shipping. It also has all the latest applications (openoffice, etc) and even was able to run an included Firefox session right off the CD.

Anyway, the real point I'm trying to make is CCleaner was apparently affected after I ran the CD. It scared

me cause I really use CCleaner all the time and it's my go-to application even over my installed Zonealarm and Norton Internet Security.

Later.

Constable

It seems you are incorrectly blaming Ubuntu Linux LiveCD on this.

When you run Ubuntu Linux it does not mount any of your partitions, unless you explicitly mounted it yourself.

So basically it wont ever touch your disk when you run it from the Live CD.

This must be caused by something else.

Ubuntu Linux is safe.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

It seems you are incorrectly blaming Ubuntu Linux LiveCD on this.

When you run Ubuntu Linux it does not mount any of your partitions, unless you explicitly mounted it yourself.

So basically it wont ever touch your disk when you run it from the Live CD.

This must be caused by something else.

Ubuntu Linux is safe.

I'm not blaming anything but my own inexperience. When I loaded the Ubuntu and Kubuntu disks, they seemed to mount their own temporary partitions; these are deleted upon shutting down the OS from the disk. For some unknown reason I was unable to get CCleaner to work upon restarting Windows. It hung up repeatedly and required ending the program with the start/alt/delete routine several times. I never experienced any trouble with CCleaner before and since I am very careful of what I am doing with regard to experimenting with new programs or systems, my initial impression was that there must have been an artifact left from the CD that was casuing the trouble. Thanks for your interest and help. I'm really interested in becoming more proficient with Linux.

i agree.

theres no way ubuntu could have done this.

and im pretty sure the registry backups are stored in the "my documents" folder.

i agree.

theres no way ubuntu could have done this.

and im pretty sure the registry backups are stored in the "my documents" folder.

You are right! I checked the faqs files for CCleaner and the .reg backups are stored in 'My Documents'. It seems that after I reinstalled CCleaner, it did not recognize the old .reg backups that were already on file. Thanks for the info... I didn't think I would ever need them, but you never know.

Ubuntu doesn't leave any artifacts, since it never mounts any partition and without the partitions being mounted it doesn't have read/write access to the file system. If you wish to access files your disk, you can mount the partition using the 'mount' command.

If there is any temporary partitions then it is in the RAM drive.

Good luck, I am sure you will find Ubuntu Linux interesting. :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

it did not recognize the old .reg backups that were already on file.

what do you mean it doesnt recognize the .reg backups?

thats not associated with Ccleaner itself.

Ccleaner made a backup of your registry then deleted some items in it.

if you find out it screwed something up, you just find that .reg backup and right click it then click merge.

what do you mean it doesnt recognize the .reg backups?

thats not associated with Ccleaner itself.

Ccleaner made a backup of your registry then deleted some items in it.

if you find out it screwed something up, you just find that .reg backup and right click it then click merge.

Okay. I feel that somehow I must be giving you the impression that I'm attacking CCleaner. I'm not, and as a matter of fact, I recommend CC to everyone who will listen. I'm not a C++'er; I'm just an old machine language hanger-on who is now working in a different capacity in a public agency and trying to catch up, so if I sound like I'm a newbie to CC, - you're right!

-> After I reloaded CCleaner and did an issues scan and saved the resulting changes as a backup, it did not place the backup file in the folder that it had previously made, but placed it as a separate file in 'My Documents'. I would like to backup all future files to the Regbackup Folder that CCleaner had originally place in 'My Documents' . Any ideas on how to make it recognize that folder again? Thanks.

if you want it to save to a certain folder, when it comes up, click yes then you can find your way to the folder that you want from there.

hope i wasnt too confusing.:)

EDIT: i dont have a regbackup in my "my documents".

but to save it there, just double click on that folder to open it up then click save.

if its not there, right click, go to new, click folder, then name it regbackup.