CCleaner hangs while scanning discs

I've used this product for years and been very satisfied.  I'm now using v6.12.10490 on a Windows 10, 64-bit laptop.  If I run CCleaner without my external USB discs attached, everything works fine.  But if I plug them in, CCleaner hangs when scanning the discs.  See attached screenshot.  Also, if the USB discs are attached, Windows hangs when I attempt a restart.  If I unplug the discs, it will restart normally.  Thoughts?image.thumb.png.6f795474c13563f731c4052aa5da8c02.png

• Moderators
17 hours ago, drywit01 said:

if the USB discs are attached, Windows hangs when I attempt a restart.  If I unplug the discs, it will restart normally.  Thoughts?

It sounds as is something has gone awry with your USB connection or controller(s), particularly as you say that Windows itself will not start if devices are connected to USB.
It isn't common but it does happen.

I assume that you have tried a different USB port, checked the ports/plugs for dirt, checked the cables, etc.?

I'd look at the USB controller drivers.
Right-click the Windows icon on the taskbar and select Device Manager.
Look at the USB controllers and see if there is a yellow warning triangle next to one or more.
(There isn't one here, this is just to show where they are).
Capture.JPG
If there is a warning then personally the way I'd fix it is to right-click the problem controller and "Uninstall device".
Don't worry it will be put back by the next steps.
Capture2.JPG
Next 'Restart' Windows. When the computer restarts, Windows should find the device and reinstall a new copy of the latest driver for it.
If for some reason Windows does not reinstall it automatically on a 'Restart' then use 'Check for Updates' which should then find it.
Note that if you do use 'Check for Updates' it may find the driver as an 'Optional Update' which you will then have to click to install.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I actually had to do that process myself last week for the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface driver which had gone bad and was showing a yellow triangle in Device Manager, I did need to 'Check for Updates' after the restart, and it was found as an 'Optional Update'.
I had first noticed there was a problem when Windows suddenly wouldn't give my external USB backup HDD a drive letter when I plugged it in, but why that particular Intel driver should cause a USB HDD issue I have no idea.

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Fair enough, and good that there is no issue there.
It was worth checking from what you described with Windows startup hanging if the external drives are connected.

That hanging on startup usually indicates an issue with the computers Boot configuration, (or possibly with the drive itself, or maybe with certain files in the drives root directory).

This explains more, be aware that the 2 main checks/fixes involve accessing the BIOS/UEFI and making changes in there.
https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/unable-to-boot-windows-with-external-hard-drive-attached/

That doesn't realy explain though why CCleaner would also hang but only if/when the external drive is connected, although I suspect that's just a symptom of a wider issue?
As far as I know the only thing that CCleaner would normally access to clean on an external drive is the Recycle bin on the drive.
And even a corrupted recycle bin doesn't prevent Windows from booting.

For the CCleaner the next thing I would try is, with the external drive connected, run Custom Clean rather than Health Check.
Do an Analyze first, if that completes then 'Run CCleaner'.
If Custom Clean also freezes then it should say at the top of the results window what it was scanning/cleaning when it froze.
That information could help point to where the issue lies.

You could also try the Windows built in Disc Clean-up, being sure to select the external drive to clean.
If CCleaner is getting stuck on clearing a particular file then Disc Clean-up can often delete that file and clear the blockage.

Then try Health Check again.

However as I say i think that it's a wider issue and not CCleaner itself.
Of course it could also be 2 seperate issues that just happen to look similar because each only happens if/when a drive is connected by USB.

PS Is there anything out of the ordinary about the external drives?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043