CCleaner has become slower

Hmm

I wonder if this is a problem with CCleaner or if I need to adjust some settings. I have a laptop with an NVMe SSD drive that used to run CCleaner very fast. But lately, it takes much longer to clean. It still cleans Internet Explorer even though I use Windows 11 (no IE)!

All the items that CCleaner cleans are on my C drive, where I install my programs. My D drive is for data files and media.

• Moderators

I noticed that my CCleaner v6.11 slowed down following the last Windows Update, I have noticed before that Windows Updates can sometimes have that effect of slowing CCleaner.

I haven't got a clue just why that should be, but the next update to either Windows or CCleaner usually (but not always) gets it back to speed again.

Have you updated to CCleaner v6.12.10490 yet? (make sure that it's 10490, and not 10459 which was never oficially released).

As for IE cleaning:
Although IE itself is gone some other Windows apps, and non-Windows apps, still use it's storage locations for temporary files.
It was always just a convinent place for apps to put temporary files, and some still do.
So those old IE locations still need cleaning. I keep 'Temporary Internet Files' and 'Cookies' ticked for IE.

Also remember that some CCleaner users are still using Windows 7, so may still be using IE.
(Some even still run XP/Vista but those can't run the latest CCleaner so there is a 'Sunset' CCleaner version for XP/Vista).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for the info and that I'm not the only one experiencing this.  I did update to the official release. I only obtain my updates directly from CCleaner's website. 

I still use W7 on my old PC, so I know what you mean. I thought CCleaner would avoid cleaning IE temp files on W11 and these IE files (on my W7 system) would always be the bottleneck for CCleaner. 

• Moderators

TBH I always found found cleaning of ie to be a bit slow, even though I never used it.

That's why I now only keep those 2 sections ticked.

You could untick everything for ie in Win 11 and see if it makes a difference for you.
I doubt it will though, my money is that something in Windows Security/Defender causes CCleaner to sometimes slow down following a Windows update.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 21/05/2023 at 04:41, nukecad said:

TBH I always found found cleaning of ie to be a bit slow, even though I never used it.

That's why I now only keep those 2 sections ticked.

You could untick everything for ie in Win 11 and see if it makes a difference for you.
I doubt it will though, my money is that something in Windows Security/Defender causes CCleaner to sometimes slow down following a Windows update.

I agree with you. Windows Security/Defender does slow things down in general and it's becoming worse it seems.

The "best" speed I now can attain is 3.88 seconds with IE cleaning disabled. Still slow compared to before.

I should add (can't edit after the fact) that on average, cleaning is around 7+ seconds. 

Even the analysis time varies despite no changes which again seems to be pointing to Windows itself.