Com ports disappeared after running Warp Speed Tune-up Software

jim5656

The com ports worked fine before running this Warp Speed PC Tune-up Software program but they quit working after it finished and I really saw no change to the problem.  They no longer show up in the Device Manager nor under the Show Hidden Devices tab.  I've checked in the suggested Registry locations to no avail and run Malware Pro as well as AVG Anti-virus Free without any help so downloaded CCleaner to try and it cleaned up a lot of stuff.  I figured if CCleaner found the problem concerning the com ports disappearing, I'd go ahead and buy it but it didn't show or fix the problem either so I thought I try this forum as a last shot before giving up.  I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1564 with Windows 7 Home Edition.  Yeah, I know its old like me but it's worked fine for my uses so I continue to use it especially with my ham radio activities for programming radios.  Anyway, thanks.... 

Jim5656

• Moderators

CCleaner is a cleaning tool, it wouldn't/couldn't fix a problem with broken com ports.
(Neither would an anti-malware or anti-virus, they prevent/remove nasties they don't 'fix' other things).

It sounds as if that Tune-up software has messed your com ports up (and who knows what else).
It may have just turned them off - or it may have deleted a needed file or two, or changed/deleted a needed reg entry or two.
Tune-up tools can be buggers for doing things like that, in this case then particularly if the tool you used is configured for Win10/11 and not for Win7.

I suggest that you make a post over on 'bleepingcomputer' forum and ask for help there, there are knowlegable members who should be able to sort your com problem out.

Here's a link to the Windows7 help forum there: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/167/windows-7/

PS. It helps if you can link a Speccy report to your post there so they can see what hardware etc. you are running. If you don't know how to do that then they can walk you through it if they want one.

PPS. Also expect some friendly chastisement for using such a Tune-up tool in the first place.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks very much, nukecad.  I appreciate the quick reply.  I know just enough about computers to get me into trouble!  I'm familiar with bleeping computer so will head over there later after church today. I ran the Speccy program and didn't see anything about com ports on it when I ran it nor did I note anything with rKill which is why I thought I'd try CCleaner thinking it would erase any mischief caused by the Warp Speed one.  I'm sure I'm due some chastising so will grin and bear it. 😕

Jim