Problem with automatic auto-renewal of CCleaner: bad business practice

Problem with auto-renewal. First of all, I did not explicitly opt in. Instead, apparently customers are now opted in automatically without their explicit consent. I'm sure it's buried in the T's & C's but doing so is going to result in a lot of people missing this and then being charged automatically once their subscriptions expire. Shady practice and unfortunately, one that other companies often engage in - Norton/Symantec and Nord VPN for example. Worse with Norton and Nord VPN is that they charge their customers as much as 4X for auto-renewal vs what can be found if shopped around.

Further, opting out of CCleaner auto renewal requires a process that results in being taken to dead links which brings the process to a full stop. Perhaps this is because of browser - maybe. I've tried using two computers and four tries. See the error message below.

So... how do I discontinue GD'd auto-renewal?

Browser error message when using Piriform's opt-out procedure for auto-renewal of CCleaner:

File Not Found

The page that you requested cannot be found on this server. This might have the following reasons:

• The link you are using is not valid anymore or wrong.
  • You have not entered the URL correctly.
  • The page does not exist anymore.

If you were directed to this page through a certain URL, please inform the site owner that offered this link so that they can update the page.

Edited by Jimminy011823
spelling and clarification

• Jimminy011823 changed the title to Problem with automatic auto-renewal of CCleaner: bad business practice
  • Moderators

How are you trying to cancel your subscription? ie. Where are you getting the URL?

Are you using the option in CCleaner itself?
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020674812-How-do-I-manage-my-CCleaner-subscription-#how-to-cancel-your-subscription--0-3

Note that the screenshot there could do with an update, as well as going through 'About' like it shows there is now a seperate 'License Key' button you can use.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.

From within CCleaner, I followed the path described in this link. https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020674812-How-do-I-manage-my-CCleaner-subscription-#how-do-i-manage-my-ccleaner-subscription--0-0

As follows:
Options > License Key > Manage Subscription > Auto Extension. I clicked on Cancel next to the Auto Extension field and was taken to a verification page where letters are required to be typed in. I did that and clicked on the Send New Link Via Email.

I got the email but when I tried to use it, it took me to an error page. Suggested errors from the  error page were page no longer found in the server, link invalid or wrong, link entered incorrectly or page doesn't exist anymore. It said to inform the site owner that there's a problem.

Note that I tried this twice from two different computers, four times total. Same result each time. In both cases, I used Firefox with the same security settings and same extensions.

Thank you.

• Moderators

There may actually be a server problem.

I'd say that your best bet at this time is to email support and tell them what you did and what happened - or rather didn't happen : support@ccleaner.com

There is also a 'Contact Us' on that webpage you linked that you can use.

Use/give them the email address that you used when purchasing CCleaner if you can, they use that to find your licence/account.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043