Getting to 'Pro' on Android12

I pay for Ccleaner Pro on my laptop: it still mishandles tracking protocols but otherwise works well.

I've been using the free download on my Android12 for a long time with no problems. That said, I think my laptop Pro license should function equally on my phone —it seems tacky to have to pay extra for it.

My central problem emerged when I thought I should at least take the phone Pro for a spin, and thus agreed to "watch a video" as a condition for temporary entry. BIG MISTAKE!

That video is actually a link to some video game (never touch 'em) and I've lost access to the basic functions of the Basic phone cleaner.

Solution?

• Moderators

That sounds like you have fallen for some kind of scam with the gaming video offer. CCleaner does not do anything like that.

Hopefully you did not give them any bank account or payment card details. If you did then you should be changing those details ASAP.

To get back to the official CCleaner:

Whether your CCleaner licence will work with Android as well as Windows depends on what kind of licence you have, and how many devices it is valid for:

https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045615611-How-do-I-use-a-CCleaner-for-Android-activation-code-

I suspect that your comnents about trackers are a common misunderstanding that we see often, have a read of this:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the courtesy of your response, nukecad.

I meant to convey in my original message that the trackers issue is not especially concerning to me, since I understand that they are not uniformly malware. I also understand the exigent dangers of sharing financial information online with strangers; I haven't done so in this case.

I wrote because I was surprised to see a reputable site like Ccleaner hacked in a way that was so visually convincing, and that managed to slide in under my anti-virus programme (Bitdefender). Even before I received your answer, I deleted the app and reinstalled it: the hack has not since reappeared.

The issue of what type of license I have (good for 5 devices; I use it on 2) will be resolvable once I read the link you've provided.

Again, thanks for your help.

gbb

• Moderators
10 hours ago, glass bottom boat said:

I wrote because I was surprised to see a reputable site like Ccleaner hacked in a way that was so visually convincing, and that managed to slide in under my anti-virus programme (Bitdefender).

Without knowing exactly what you saw its difficult to say.

But the Google Store does have a habit of putting unrelated advertising on pages.
Sometimes, especially on a phone, those adds can look like they are part of the page, when of course they are just advertising that Google has put there.
The wording of the ads is also often devised to tempt/trick you into thinking that you must click them.
If you visit the page again Google will probably put a different ad there.

So yes, if anyone else had put it there then you would say that the page had been hacked.
But it's Google's Store, and so it's their own dodgy advertising and not a hack.
Many people dislike Google for their use of such dodgy advertising and other such behaviour.

Of course Bitdefender, or any other AV, will not react to it because it is official Google advertising.
If you do click it your AV won't react to the download because it's coming from the Google Store so seen as approved.
A good browser adblocker has a better chance of blocking the ad so you don't see it in the first place, but only if you are looking at the Store in a browser and not if you are using the Google Store app on an Android device.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043