Sumatra PDF version remains unchanged

After updating SumatraPDF, the version listed in CCleaner Uninstall list is the old version.  Is this an error on Sumatra's part or CCleaner?  Sumo updater shows the correct SumartraPDF version.  Thanks for any suggestions.

• Moderators

It's possibly because they have released 3 version updates in the last 5 days - 3.4, 3.4.1, & 3.4.2
When they are popping out new versions almost daily it can be difficult for everyone else to keep up with the changes.
https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/docs/Version-history

CCleaner will be reading the Sumatra version number from Windows, so presumably Windows hasn't updated that information yet.

I wouldn't worry, if you use the Uninstall tool it will call whatever 'uninstal.exe' Sumatra have put in their own programme folder.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks.  I understand what you're saying, but... I use the install.txt created by CCleaner Uninstall tool to track versions of programs to keep my 3 computers in sync. 

The last update CCleaner is showing me for SumatraPDF is 3.3.3 from 2021-08-16.  SUMO shows the correct version, 3.4.2.  The Properties/Details of SumatraPDF.exe shows version 3.4.2, in Program Files--I wonder if SUMO gets it from the .exe file?

In Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SumatraPD DisplayVersion is 3.3.3, InstallDate is 20210816.

in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SumatraPDF DisplayVersion is 3.4.2, InstallDate is 20220528.

I guess SumatraPDF install is screwing up.  Any suggestions?

• Moderators

That does make sense, and isn't a screw up as such, Windows is doing it like that for a reason.

The reg entry for Local_Machine is showing 3.3.3, because that will be the  first/last version that you installed on the machine from scratch and you've been updating since.

The reg entry for Current_User is showing 3.4.2 because it knows you have updated as that user.

Although I've never had reason to do it, is possible for different user accounts to have the same software installed, each one a seperate full install for that user with their own settings/customisations.
So it's possible for different users to have different versions of the same software installed.
Which explains why the registry shows it like that, it could be a different version for each 'Current_User'.

It also explains how uninstalling/reinstalling  would/should do the trick, the reg entry for Local_Machine would/should then show the version of the new 'install from scratch'.
ie. The uninstall would remove those reg entries, the reinstall would make new ones with the newly installed version.
(Any user who did have their own seperate version installed in their own account should retain that version, it wouldn't have been uninstalled).

So it seems that the CCleaner uninstall tool is reading what Windows says is/was installed on the machine, and not what is installed for a particular user.
I've not thought through the pros/cons of that, but presumably it's done that way for a reason?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043