CCleaner [really] slow in cleaning with 5.90.9443

Hmm

Even with a very fast NVMe drive, it's suddenly become terribly slow. I'm not sure where the delay is but it's slow when doing its cleaning using the default settings on W11, Chrome, FF, and Edge.  Cleaning does speed  up quite a bit (but not as zippy as before) if running the cleaning a moment after the previous occurrence/start-up. 

• Moderators

Health Check or Custom Clean?

If it's Custom Clean then can you see at the top of the results window if it seems to be 'sticking' on anything in particular when analyzing or cleaning?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi. It's Custom Clean. Nothing changed in my settings (that I did) before the last update. There is nothing that appears to be sticking that I can see. 

The issue seems to be intermittent (today) though. Argh. 

• Moderators

Is it just with CCleaner or are other things being slower than usual?

Intermittent issues can be a pain to track down.
In this case though I suspect it's being intermittent because whatever part is being slow sometimes has nothing in it to be cleaned.

The best I can suggest to try and pinpoint what may be slowing things for you is to do the cleaning a bit at a time and see if one bit seems particularly slower than usual.

To do that:
Right-click on the blue heading of a section and Analyze just that section, then do the next section, and so on through both tabs.
If one section seems particularly slow then you can use the same right-click method on the individual ticked options within that section to see if it's a particular one.

If nothing shows up using Analyze then try again with an actual clean.
Of course when you clean a section then you'll have to wait for more junk to build up before being able to check the individual ticks.
(Which is why you do it with an Analyze and not Clean first time round).
Or you could skip cleaning the sections and just do each individual tick one at once.

Traking things down takes time, patience, and doing things methodically one step at a time, it always does.

As an example these shows how you can analyze/clean just the Edge Chromium section, or just one tick:
image.png

image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi. Thanks. 

Indeed, it's a pain to try to replicate. It seems it may have something to do with Internet Explorer (I have Edge not IE).

So far, if I untick the cleaning settings for Internet Explorer cleaning, CCleaner is snappy. But it annoys to know IE is running in stealth mode in Windows 11 and I have no idea why or what it's doing even when I'm not using Edge. 

• Moderators

Yes, some options in the IE clearing can be slow or 'sticky' at times.
(If I rember correctly the URLs and/or Index sometimes seem to 'stick' for a few seconds).

It isn't IE itself that is running and creating the junk in there though.

Many Windows and 3rd party apps use the IE temporary storage spaces to put temp files and logfiles - it's always been there, Windows Disk Cleanup clears it when run, so it's just always been a convinent place for anything to put temporary stuff.

That's one of the main reasons why IE is still there in Windows, even Windows 11, - because other things are still tied into it and/or still use it's storage spaces.

CCleaner itself puts 3 temporary files in "Internet Explorer - Temporary Internet Files" everytime that you open CCleaner, and then cleans them again.
So you will always find theres at least 3 to clean in there when you've just opened CCleaner, because CCleaner puts them there:
image.png

The only things I have ticked in IE these days are:
image.png

Unless you have actually had IE running then the rest should be empty anyway - Give that setting a go and see if it cures your issue.

Thanks for that! This is really helpful.

Moments ago Chrome was affected too, but after running the CCleaner the second time it was fine. It seems the sluggishness of Chrome cleaning is random at times and it seems Chrome is becoming more bloated with each  update. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Hmm said:

it seems Chrome is becoming more bloated with each  update. 

I doubt that anyone would argue with that.