Deleting selected files after finding duplicate files research: not working

LeJulien

My version is CCleaner pro. I run a duplicate files that happen correctly on a data partition.

Then, when I've selected the files to delete, I got anytimes with any kind of research or results: "Some of the files were not deleted".

No duplicate files are "deletable".

Could you fix the problem please?! Thx in advance

CCleaner - bug.PNG

• Moderators

Are these your own files? or are they System Files?

If they are System Files they are probably protected, or in a protected location.

Some System Files need to have duplicates for your computer to work properly, and if you remove then odd things can start to happen.
Unless you are an advanced user trying to fix a broken computer you should leave the System files alone, tell Duplicate Finder to Ignore them.

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 7 months later...

Thanks Nukecad,

As I needed to clean storage, I decided à this time to instal another opensource solution dedicated to this function. So sorry for the late answer.

Yes that was some user's files, not at all some system files.

Actually, yes these files were:

• bitlocked, for some of them, on the computer's hard drive data partition (to mount with veracrypt, problem with the confidentiality of my bitlocker key),
  • but only backed up, independantly for others that are unbitlocked and encrypted on a "veracrypted" USB key and synchonised with the first.

Does it make the duplicate finder out of order? How to shunt the issue?

Best regards,

• Moderators
10 hours ago, LeJulien said:

Actually, yes these files were:

• bitlocked, for some of them, on the computer's hard drive data partition (to mount with veracrypt, problem with the confidentiality of my bitlocker key),
  • but only backed up, independantly for others that are unbitlocked and encrypted on a "veracrypted" USB key and synchonised with the first.

Does it make the duplicate finder out of order? How to shunt the issue?

With regard to deleting any selected duplicates - If they are locked then CCleaner won't be able to delete them, nothing should be able to delete them.
That's why you lock things, to prevent them being altered or deleted unless/until you unlock them again first.

With regard to backups-
It will find duplicates using whatever you have told it to look for as being duplicated.
If you tell it to look for names and nothing else it will find all files with the same name.
If you tell it to look for size and nothing else it will find all files of the same size (whatever their name).
If you tell it to look for name and size it will find all files with the same name that are also the same size.
And so on.

It will (should) always find backups - because both the original and the backup will match whatever you tell it to look for.
Backups will have the same name as the original. They have exactly the same contents so will be the same size. They will have the same modified date.
That's the whole point of a backup - it is a deliberate duplicate in case you lose the original.
If it wasn't identical to the original then there wouldn't be much point.

If you don't want Duplicate Finder to find your backups as duplicates then simply add your backup folder path as an 'Exclude' in Duplicate Finder.
If a path is excluded then it won't be searched.
image.png

TBH though your backups should be on a different drive to the original files, so just don't search that backup drive.
If the backups are on the same drive as the originals and that drive fails then you have lost both the originals and the backups.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 1 month later...

Hello,

• I thought the problem would not happen with an installed application on an administrator session on Windows, or occur an error message... to confirm to you that it is possible: a free open source synchronisation software deals with the deleting of bit-locked files.
  • What "I tell you" is that:
    1. If the partition backup is mount and unencrypted by an encryption file/folder software (not the bitlocker of windows),
    2. Then it might not occur the same problem.
  • So next time I will try to:
    1. Synchronize the original with the backup,
    2. Apply the duplicate file function of ccleaner on the no-bitlocked backup,
    3. Then mirroring from the backup to the original in the folder set up to bitlock the original upstream folder

If you rethink to this 3 points, you might:

• Find out:
    • that it is quite complicate,
    • an interesting extend function to ccleaner, not so far from the duplicated folder deleting function,
  • Suggest a function quite interesting for the purpose of your software, specially if it manage the same found out function on cloud services.

Br,