Freezing

Dave74

• Moderators

As it's a new install I'm assuming it's Windows 10 21H2, and CCleaner v5.88.

How far into the cleaning is it getting?
It should tell you at the top of the results panel what Custom Clean is currently cleaning, which should give you a clue where it is getting stuck.

One thing you can try if CCleaner is freezing is to run the Windows built in Disk Clean-up,
Just open the Start menu and start typing Disk Clean-up and it will bring it up for you.
Select run it as Administrator and after it does it's first scan select 'Clean up system files' and let it scan again, then clean what it has found.
That does take a lot longer than using CCleaner, but can sometimes clear blockages.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi nukecad

Thanks for replying to my post.  It seems to be getting stuck everytime around the quarter way mark.  One thing I have noticed is when CCleaner freezes the program comes up as suspended in the task manager, if I then go into the resource monitor I can resume the process and CCleaner finishes the cleaning process.  The windows version is Win 10 21H2 and CCleaner is v5.88.  I am using the windows built in Disk Clean Up utility at the moment until I can find out why CCleaner is being suspended.  Any ideas on this, and thanks for your help.

Regards

• Moderators

Once you have used Disk Clean-up try CCleaner again, it usually runs alright then.

You say it seems to get stuck about the 'quarter way' mark. If You are using Custom Clean it should tell you underneath that bar what file, or at least what section it is stuck on.

I suspect it will be one of the Internet Explorer or Edge sections if it's only quarter way.
You could try unticking the cleaning for each of those in turn and then cleaning with it unticked to see which is the problem. Takes a bit of time to do each one in turn, but testing does take time.
Mine used to always take ages on the IE 'History' and as I never used IE it never had any history so I simply unticked it.
Note that you should have 'Temporary Internet Files' and 'Cookies' ticked for IE even if you never use it, other things still use those two locations for temporary files.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043