Smart Clean not working

Dynamic

Hi there,

i am using CCleaner Pro (64Bit) v5.87.9306 on a Win7 Machine (last Patches)

Since a couple of days Smart Clean is not running when a Browser is closed.

My Browsers are Firefox and Google.

Can someone help me? Because this feature is the reason to use the Pro-Version...

• Moderators

Could you post a screenshot of your Smart Cleaning settings so we can see what they are?

A description of what you are seeing, or not seeing, that tells you that Smart Cleaning isn't running would also help work out what may be going on.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for reply.

This are my smartclean-settings.

Normaly, when smartclean is cleaning, there is an animated brush over the ccleaner-tray icon.

No notification is displayed.

After closing a browser, all trackers and junk are still on disc.

I have to clean manually.

smartcleanSettings.PNG

Edited by Dynamic

• Moderators

Your settings seem fine.

As you say the system tray icon brush should flash when it is actually cleaning, and with those settings you should also get a notification when it has finished cleaning.

I suggest  the following.
Try disabling Smart Cleaning, close CCleaner, open it again and re-enable Smart Cleaning.
Open a browser and visit a few webpages then close the browser to see if Smart Cleaning runs now.

If not then the next thing to try is to do a 'Restart' of your computer, that's a Restart not a shutdown/boot. (not sure it actually makes that much difference on Win 7 , but it does with 8, 8.1, 10, & 11 so in case someone with one of those is reading).
Do the browser open/close again to see if Smart Cleaning is working now.

If still not then:
Download the 'Slim' installer 'ccsetup578_slim.exe' from here (it's the 3rd one down) and use it to install a new ccleaner over your existing one.
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
(It should pick up your Pro licence automatically but if not then click on the person icon in CCleaner Free's top right and 'Activate Licence', enter your existing licence key as asked then click 'Activate' - you might want to make a note of your key before starting, just in case).
Do the browser open/close again to see if Smart Cleaning is working now.

Reinstalling over-the-top using the Slim installer can often cure small annoying glitches like this, let us know how it goes.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...

Dear nukecad,

sorry, it took a while to spend some time in this problem again.

none of your tips did resolved the problem.

but i solved it for me like this:

* deinstall the current ccleaner-installation

* install the latest free version of ccleaner

* after entering my licence-information and activating ccleaner pro SmarClean is working again.

Thanks for your help and your time.

Regards

• Moderators

Good to hear you got it working fairly easily.

Usually you can just install the new CCleaner version over the top and it will sort things out.

But as you found sometimes an uninstall and reinstall is needed.
(I'm guessing that the Windows tTask for Smart Cleaner had got corrupted somehow, so it needed to be removed by the uninstall before a new Task was put in place).