Uninstall bug

After uninstalling both CCleaner and CCleaner browser completely, when I press “open with” when I am opening files like pdf files I still see an option of CCleaner browser with no logo and when I attempt to click on in it nothing happens and proceeds to make me choose another app to open the file with. I was wondering how I can remove the Ccleaner browser option because it’s still there after uninstalling. Not only this, but I have also seen in my event logs of my PC that CCleaner browser is attempting to update itself but can’t find the file to do so. These all happen even though I have already uninstalled everything.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnccleaner

That shouldn't be happening, thank you for bringing this up.

To begin with, you should be able to reassociate Adobe Reader/Acrobat, or your preferred PDF reader, with PDF files as described here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/not-default-pdf-owner-windows10.html (the process should be about the same for other programs as well, simply choosing them instead of the Adobe one).

However, there definitely shouldn't be anything running from CCleaner Browser after it's uninstalled! Try checking in C:\Program Files (x86) and seeing if there's still a CCleaner Browser folder? If so, I'd take a quick peek inside and run CCleanerBrowserUninstall.exe if present. If it's not, try just deleting the folder.

As a quick sanity check, have you restarted the computer (a proper restart, not just put to sleep/wake up) since uninstalling CCleaner Browser? Did you check the 'Also delete your browsing data' option when uninstalling? Also, were you using an account with administrator permissions, or did you provide them to the uninstaller, when you uninstalled?

• Moderators

This PDF opening happens when during the install of CCleaner browser you tell it to associate PDF's (and other filetypes) to open/read by default in CCleaner browser.
It's one of the options during the install.

If you then uninstall the browser then obviously you can no longer use it to open/read files.
Windows doesn't know what you then want to open those files with and so has to ask you.
Reassociating the files to open with something else cures the problem.

The link that John gave you is fine, but a bit long winded, see this for a quick way to reassociate PDF (and other files) to open with a particular app:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043