Empty Recycle Bin Skipped Files

PaulyJH

Everytime I perform a Custom CClean, I am left with the message 'System - Empty Recycle Bin      40,532 KB     68 files', regardless of what type of settings I am running, 1, 3, 7, or 35 overwrites. If I double-click upon this message, I am always shown exactly the same 68 entries, but as there is nothing in the recycle bin that has been emptied several hundred times, wiped, overwritten (set fire to and generally obliviated) I have no idea what these '68 files' refer to - see pictures attached.

Has anyody here experienced similar? If so, how do I either find out what the '68 files' are and/or delete them?

Much appreciated,

PaulJH

68 files-a.jpg

68 files-b.jpg

Guest johnccleaner

Hi, just a note - I moved this to the CCleaner Help Requests as that seemed a better fit for the topic.

This almost always indicates that you're running into a problem that's existed in Windows for ages, going back at least to the XP days, wherein the Recycle Bin gets 'stuck' or corrupted in a very specific way.

That being said, it's a pretty easy fix. 

1. Click on the Windows Start button
  2. Type:

Command Prompt

3. Right-click on the "Command Prompt" entry > click "Run as Administrator"
  4. Type and enter:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

And that should take care of the issue for you, allowing you to continue cleaning the Recycle Bin properly in CCleaner (or by emptying the Recycle Bin normally).

Just make sure that, when entering the rd command, it's entered exactly in that way, with that spacing, or it won't work. You won't get a message when it works (just a blank line down), but you should get an error message if it's not typed in right.