HDMI monitor not getting signal after attempting driver updates

Shonda

Hi Shonda:

What is your operating system and the make/model of your computer both and external monitor?  If you have a discrete graphics card (e.g., NVIDIA GeForce, AMD Radeon, etc.) do you know the make/model, and do you recall if Driver Update installed a graphics driver update?  Is this monitor attached to a desktop or laptop computer?

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (see the BleepingComputer articles How to Start Windows in Safe Mode and How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Networking).  If you can start your computer in Safe Mode using the minimal diver set you might be able to use your monitor again and follow the instructions in the support article I’m Having a Problem with Driver Updater. What are my Options? to revert your driver updates.

If you can boot up in Safe Mode but reverting your driver updates doesn't help you might be able to restore your system to a previous date using Windows' System Restore (i.e., using a restore point saved prior to running Driver Updater) as instructed in the section titled "How to Restore Your System to an Earlier Restore Point" of the How-To Geek article How to Use System Restore in Windows 7, 8, and 10. System Restore can be found on my Win 10 Pro v20H2 computer at Settings | System | About | Related Settings (look on the far right of the About page for this heading) | System Protection (see image below). The Lifewire article How to Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 or 8 notes that you can also access System Restore from the same Advanced Startup Options menu you use to start your computer in Safe Mode.

977533674_Win10Prov20H2SystemRestore05Jul2021.png.2aae5ed55cc5605e922f8a0251d74810.png

If none of this helps and someone else doesn't jump into this thread and offer further suggestions see employee Stephen CCleaner's Driver Updater - What We're Working on Next for instructions on how to open a support ticket with the CCleaner support team. See employee MeganCCleaner's instructions in Driver Updater Disaster for instructions on how collect diagnostic logs that you can submit with your support ticket request (assuming that your monitor works when you boot into Safe Mode).
----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.1052 * Firefox v89.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2105.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.2.123-1.0.1358 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.81.8895
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Hi Shonda:

One other hint I forgot to mention, although it won't apply to you if you run System Restore after booting into Safe Mode.

If you use a third-party (non-Microsoft) antivirus or anti-malware program that runs in real-time (i.e., that loads automatically when you boot up normally) and it has a self-protection feature, make sure you disable this self-protection in your antivirus settings before running a System Restore.  For example, I used Norton Security for several years and their support article Fix System Restore Problems with Norton Installed recommends that users disable the Norton Product Tamper Protection module before performing a System Restore so that it doesn't interfere with the restore process.

If you run System Restore after booting up in Safe Mode this shouldn't be a concern since you will only load the minimal system files and drivers necessary to run Windows and any third-party antivirus should not be loaded.

If you use a third-party antivirus and aren't sure if it has a self-protection module post back and let us know the product name and version number.
----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.1052 * Firefox v89.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2105.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.2.123-1.0.1358 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.81.8895
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Hi Shonda:

Just checking in to see if you were able to get your HDMI monitor working again.  Did you ever find a solution?
----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.1052 * Firefox v89.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2106.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.2.123-1.0.1358 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.81.8895