ZZZ folders, ZZZ files and thousands of zip files

I just noticed on root level of "C", 6 ('six) ZZZ folders, containing thousands of ZZZ files and ZZZ zip files (by "ZZZ" I mean various configurations of Z, such as ZZZ_ZZZZ_ZZZ.zip, while folder names look just like Norton's back-up folders with a bunch of ZZZ's at end of each). Norton, as usual, no help whatsoever. According to Google, the culprit is CCleaner's WIPE FREE SPACE, which I have used for many years without any problems, until now. So, first I uninstalled, preventively, CCleaner, and secondly hence this new topic to get feed-back on issue. Thanks!

Guest Andrei CCleaner
18 hours ago, JonathanG said:

I just noticed on root level of "C", 6 ('six) ZZZ folders, containing thousands of ZZZ files and ZZZ zip files (by "ZZZ" I mean various configurations of Z, such as ZZZ_ZZZZ_ZZZ.zip, while folder names look just like Norton's back-up folders with a bunch of ZZZ's at end of each). Norton, as usual, no help whatsoever. According to Google, the culprit is CCleaner's WIPE FREE SPACE, which I have used for many years without any problems, until now. So, first I uninstalled, preventively, CCleaner, and secondly hence this new topic to get feed-back on issue. Thanks!

Hey Jonathan, the "zzz" files in question are created by CCleaner when using the Drive Wiper, Wipe Free Space cleaning option, or the Secure File Deletion setting.

The "zzz" files are created for the purpose of overwriting data so that files cannot be recovered so unfortunately, it would not be possible to recover the original files that these refer to.

However if you've lost some files, it might be possible that they were not overwritten and don't refer to the "zzz" files you're seeing, in which case you might be able to recover them with our product, Recuva.

You can download Recuva for free from http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Instructions on how to use Recuva can be found here.

If you have any questions about this, or if you need anything, please let me know - I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

• Moderators

@Andrei CCleaner

I belive that the question is why CCleaner Secure Delete etc. leaves these files/filenames behind and doesn't remove them as standard?

Which TBH is a good question.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest Andrei CCleaner
22 hours ago, nukecad said:

@Andrei CCleaner

I belive that the question is why CCleaner Secure Delete etc. leaves these files/filenames behind and doesn't remove them as standard?

Which TBH is a good question.

Sorry about that.. the files should get deleted automatically by the software if the user lets the process to finish on their device.

• Moderators

Ah, it's the old issue of WFS being interrupted by something before it has finished, and so leaving the ZZZ files behind.

(Maybe that could be improved so that it cleans them up as it goes along rather than just at the end?)

@JonathanG

How often do you run WFS or Drive Wiper, and have you noticed it not completing?

If you run Wipe Free Space again, one pass and let it complete, it may (should) remove those ZZZ files.

Or, probably quicker, you can delete the folders manually.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

thanks very much for the key to the mystery - I often interrupt the wipe process, which is final step in cleaning, but never before noticed these strange files, but then again, I don't spend much time in the root level of C - thanks!

• Moderators

From what you say it sounds as if you have it ticked to wipe free space everytime you run CCleaner and then interrupt it to save time?

I'd untick the 'Wipe Free Space' in the Custom Clean options so that it doesn't run at all - and you don't have to interupt it.

It's not something that you need to do unless your are selling or passing on the computer/drive to someone else.
You wipe the free space so that the new owner can't use recovery software to see the contents of your old deleted files.
That's it's only function, it doesn't speed up your computer in anyway or free up any space.