CCleaner Pro failing to start at system boot.

v5.78.8558 (64-bit), 64 bit HP laptop, Windows 10 Home version 20H2

CCleaner is set to launch each time the computer starts.  It shows up in the Autoruns.exe utility from  Sysinternals.  It also shows up in the Startup tab in Task Manager and it is enabled.  I can't find any indication that it is actually starting and it does not show up in the Taskbar following a reboot. 

In Options -> Advanced:

"Close program after a Custom Clean" is not checked

"Minimize to System Tray" is checked

"Save all settings to INI file" is checked

Any ideas?  Need more doc?  Tell me what you want and I'll get it.

• Moderators

If you are meaning "Launch the CCleaner app each time the computer starts" then what that does is run a clean when you start the computer and then close itself, it doesn't stay running.

You will briefly see a flashing CCleaner icon in the System Tray while it is cleaning, but it's only there for seconds so you could miss it.

What is it that you want CCleaner to be doing in the background?

If you want it to monitor for junk building up, or to automatically clean a browser when you close it, then that's Smart Cleaning.
(Smart Cleaning will put an icon in the System Tray whils it is running in the background).

PS. "Minimise to system tray" is a legacy command for old Windows versions where you couldn't pin things to the taskbar. (And you need to open CCleaner and miminise it's interface).
With Windows 10 you should simply pin CCleaner to the Taskbar if you want to access it quickly with just one click.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks!  The key is the Smart Cleaning.  I had it enabled on my old laptop and never turned it on for the new laptop.  I don't actually use Smart Cleaning but apparently it has to be enabled if I want it running all the time.  Now that I understand what is happening, I'll probably just start it when I actually need it to run.

I'm familiar with Windows 10 and I've been using CCleaner for 8-10 years.  I just never realized what the Smart Cleaning enabled was actually doing.

Again, thank you very much for the explanation.

• Moderators

If you want to see an icon in the System Tray but don't want Smart Cleaning running then selecting OPtions>Updates> "Keep Ccleaner updated automatically" will also put the icon there.
That also runs in the background and checks every 12 hours to see if there is a new version of CCleaner.

TBH though it sounds like using  'Pin to taskbar' to put an icon on the taskbar so you can launch CCleaner with a single click is more what you are looking for.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Yeah, I pinned it to the taskbar and disabled the launch at restart.  I don't run the auto updates and go get them manually when it tells me there is a new version.

The only thing that really had me confused was the Smart Cleaning.  I've been using this app for years and never realized what was keeping the icon active in the taskbar.

I'm all good, thanks again!