Use of CCleaner - Applications tab

Terry

Dear CCleaner friends:

I have been advised, by people who know about these things, to use CCleaner WITHOUT enabling the "Applications" tab in "Cleaner Settings". That is, to leave the boxes in that tab un-ticked.

Is this good advice? And what do you surmise is the thinking behind it?

I am asking the CCleaner forum about this (rather than the aforesaid advisers) because the rest of their advice was so good and proved to be so effective in cleaning up my computer. I would be embarrassed to question their judgement on this one point.

Your comments on this matter would be welcome.

Thanks.

Terry.

• Moderators

It's not good advice at all! You're getting advice from people that obviously don't have a clue that the hell they're talking about - and why even bother using CCleaner if it's being purposely half crippled, it's as stupid as like buying a surround sound stereo and only using one speaker.

The majority of things in the applications tab only remove junk files, or recently used files (MRU) from the registry. About the only thing I ever recommend to uncheck from the Applications tab is Microsoft Office because cleaning it will remove the settings for Word and a few other Office programs, other than that everything is safe to clean without any worries