Problem using Optimize on my SSD drive

Yuls

I ran Optimize on my SSD drive. Started with 70% free space and I forget what percent was fragmented. When the process was completed, I ended up with only 11% free space and 39% fragmented, leaving my hard drive far worse than when it started. What did I do wrong? And how do I correct this?

Edited by Yuls
typo

A bit more information: I'm thinking that my SSD does not support TRIM, so it asked and I approved the use of Zero Fill. I think it's this function that filled up my hard drive.

From Defraggler help info:

"The performance of an SSD is based around the time taken to write to a block. This is at its quickest when the block is blank (zero-filled). If there are no blank blocks left, blocks must be erased to provide space for the new data. This slows down the writing process. If there is no TRIM function available, the SSD cannot erase the blocks in advance.

To prevent this from occurring, Defraggler can overwrite all of the free space on the drive with zeroes so that there's a supply of fresh, 'empty' blocks available to be written to. This can take longer than a TRIM, and puts a little more wear and tear on the drive, but is a viable alternative for configurations that do not support TRIM."

One more thing: I just found out that the Western Digital WDC WD10SPZX-60Z10T0 (SATA (SSD) is actually NOT an SSD, but a HDD but for some reason Defraggler is treating it like it is an SSD. Should I just run a regular Defrag to see if that will fix the problem?

• 4 months later...
On 25/11/2020 at 09:44, Yuls said:

One more thing: I just found out that the Western Digital WDC WD10SPZX-60Z10T0 (SATA (SSD) is actually NOT an SSD, but a HDD but for some reason Defraggler is treating it like it is an SSD. Should I just run a regular Defrag to see if that will fix the problem?

That happened to me. I reinstalled Windows using Marvel ATA controllers, Marvel SATA controllers are problematic so I uninstalled the drivers, moved my HDD connectors to Intel SATA ports and all was good.