CCleaner v5.74 crashes

f23948

• Moderators

I don't know if this is anything to do with it but 1809 reached End-of-Life/end of support 5 days ago on 10th November.
That shouldn't affect LTSC which has a 10 year support channel.

However:
LTSC is intended for devices that have one specific function and so don't need to be updated, because of this it may not support the latest versions of apps.
LTSC is designed to be a stable platform for certain uses and is not updated to the latest specifications semi-anually.
(If you need to update LTSC you install a whole new system, hardware as well as the OS/software).
The issue with this is that LTSC may be unable to run the latest versions of apps, and has to stick with older versions.

I do know that Microsoft's thinking on LTSC has changed since it was first implemented. - Because business who deployed it for other reasons have realised that is not what it was meant for and their systems are falling behind.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/ltsc-what-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181

The Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) is designed for Windows 10 devices and use cases where the key requirement is that functionality and features don’t change over time. Examples include medical systems (such as those used for MRI and CAT scans), industrial process controllers, and air traffic control devices. These devices share characteristics of embedded systems: they are typically designed for a specific purpose and are developed, tested, and certified before use. They are treated as a whole system and are, therefore, commonly “upgraded” by building and validating a new system, turning off the old device, and replacing it with the new, certified device.

Has your issue only just started?
If you have the installer for v5.73 can you roll back?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

If 5.73 is still working on your 1809 LTSC then I'd stick with that, and turn off the automatic updating of 'Important Updates' to make sure that it doesn't update again as an 'Important Update'.

You might try v5.75 when it comes out, but I suspect that you'll find v5.73 may be the last CCleaner version that will work on 1809 LTSC.
(Similar to how v5.64 is the last version that will work on XP and Vista for those still using those OS's).

If you are using LTSC for a general use computer then it's not really intended for that, and you may want to think about updating to regular Windows 10, home, pro, or enterprise.

PS. I was thinking about it and I do know one machine that is running Win 10 LTSC; it's the cash register in my local pub.
It only ever uses the manufacturers own cash register/accounting software, nothing else, so it doesn't need Windows updating to keep up with other software.
It's like that Microsoft article says about being for a specific use, you wouldn't want to be doing constant Win10 updates on a cash register, and when it gets old you don't update the OS you get a new cash register.
In normal use you never even see that it runs on Windows, it hibernates so that you turn it on and it's ready to start using.
I only even know it's Win10 LTSC because I've helped reset in the past following a crash and it briefly flashes up the Windows splash screen when you reboot it.
(It did lose half of that days records of sales in that crash, along with everyones open bar/table tabs which was fun).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043