Windows Kill Switch

cowboy357

I had seen a lot of topics on this, & want to let everyone know it does exist, As everyone probably remembers I was running a pirated version of Windows ( not by choice ) & I finnally got a Warning message from Microsoft saying You are running an illegal version of windows & It will now shut down No harm will come to Your computer but to reboot you must install a legal copy & register it with Microsoft , 30 seconds later I got the blue screen of death ....Stop unmountable boot volume code.OX000000ED. OX80EE7E30, I,m not sure if this has happened with anyone else or not, I Bought windows home XP from wallmart for $199.00 & installed it, registered it and all is fine BUT I lost all of My Registrations & updates for all of My Virus & Spyware software, The only problem I have now is When running some scans the puter freezes up, But will reboot fine, is this normal or might I still have problems ? it mainly does it when running Adware Se plus scans, I will run a high jack log & let the experts look at it. but i,m just curious, & Yes I could have bought it cheaper online but I had No access to any other puter, Thanks for any input, Cowboy

The blue screen of death had nothing to do with your pirated version of Windows, and there is no kill switch. Even if you are running a pirated version of Windows, Microsoft will allow you to continue using it, even if you have all of the WGA gear installed.

I don't believe you at all when you say it told you it was about to shut down (and that no harm would come to your computer). That's ridiculous.

It's freezing up because of your hard drive or filesystem, most likely (also noting your blue screen of death referring to the filesystem). I'd run HDtune and make sure your S.M.A.R.T. status/health is okay, and then perform a chkdsk C: /R, at the very least.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Djlizard, I cant help it if You dont beleive Me, & I,m not positive thats how it was worded exactly because I had very little time to read it. but the warning came up in a seperate window with the window flag in the center in very large size, I have never seen it before, But the bsod did say Windows is closed to protect Your computer from any harm & You must install a legal copy of windows to reboot, I had 3 weeks to read that, Cowboy

The blue screen of death told you that the system's been halted to prevent data loss and other issues. If I understand you correctly, are you saying the blue screen of death also said you had to install a legal copy of Windows? If that's not what you meant, then you're referring to the WGA program that launches before the Welcome screen occurs. At any rate, at no point does WGA ever tell you that you can no longer use your computer or that it will prevent you from doing so. It does tell you that your system may not be genuine, and that you should purchase a legal copy of Windows, but it does not prevent you from using it.

At any rate, you still have issues left, no? Let's move on to fixing whatever remaining problems you have. Have you checked out HDtune yet?

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

OK Djlizard, Yes I ran hd tune Everything checks fine, also I ran chkdsk C:/R also Ok...To anwser Your Questions, bsod, said an error has been discovered windows and is shutdown to protect Your computer from any damage You must install a legal version of windows to reboot, I,m very sorry If You dont beleive me & I,m certainly not trying to give false info or waste anyones time, But thats what it said, no matter how rediculous it sounds , also when I went to the website for hdtune it was blocked from My av software , but I bypassed that & downloaded it, Thanks Cowboy

DjLizard is right, WGA doesn't do that. If you could, try and take a picture of the blue screen or right down the message exactly.

Perhaps you might have picked up a 'joke' virus or maybe something more malicious. Is your computer clean of any viruses, spyware, etc.?