Anti-spyware

Canary

I have recently downloaded bpywareGuard and SUPERAntiSpyware, and both seem to be running OK.

When I log on, SpywareGuard runs at start-up and I have to manually run SUPERAntiSpyware. But on the other administrator account on this PC, it is the other way round, and SUPERAntiSpyware runs at start-up and SpywareGuard has to be run automatically.

I don't understand this, as both programs were downloaded when I was logged on as the administrator.

I have been into run/mscong/startup, but there are no additional boxes to check on either account.

How can I get both programs to run at start-up on both administrator accounts?

SpywareGuard is generally launched from the Startup folder. If you want it to launch automatically at boot in ALL accounts, move the link to the Global (All Users) Startup folder

SuperAntispyware on the contrary is generally launched from the Registry, for the current user only, creating a string value in this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/ CurrentVersion/Run

If you want the application to launch at boot for all accounts the startup entry needs to be in the similarly named key in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE branch of the Registry

Moving the SG link from the User Startup folder to All Users shouldn't be a prob.

If you have trouble with the Registry part, just say so, and I'll help you fix that as well.

Can you do the Startup Folder thing yourself, or do you want some guidance there as well?

As for that one, log in as Adminstrator, rightclick the Start button, and choose "Explore All Users".

Drill down to the Startup folder of the account where SQ launches automatically at boot (typically C:\Documents and Settings\"User Name"\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, locate the SG link and move it to the Startup Folder of the All Users account

As for the Registry bit I'd like to see an export of the registry key in question.

Log on to the account where SpywareGuard does start up automatically.

Now go to Start > Run, and paste the following into the box, then click OK:

regedit /e C:\run.txt HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

That will export the contents of that key to a C:\Run.txt file

Paste the contents of the run.txt file into your reply, and I'll tell you how to proceed.

• Moderators

I think you need to get something more current than SpywareGuard because it's hopelessly outdated with the last def file being from 2004 (if my memory serves me correctly). However I do realize on Win9x systems it may be a necessary alternative since it offers some protection without causing a massive slowdown.

I would instead recommend Arovax Shield (freeware) which is compatible with Win9x and above systems.

I think you need to get something more current than SpywareGuard because it's hopelessly outdated with the last def file being from 2004

I have to say I agree there, although SG for a large part doesn't rely on definitions. Not familiar with Arovax myself, but alternatively, for real time protection SpyBot S&D might also be a good choice, with its Teatimer component.

• Moderators

SpyBot S&D might also be a good choice, with its Teatimer component.

He'll have to search for Hazenut's post that had a link to a forum that gave instructions on using ResourceHacker to change the GUI in TeaTimer so that the buttons are visible. I still can't believe it hasn't been fixed after all this time.

Anyways, we are both in agreement that SpywareGuard is outdated.

Here ya go: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

... Erm, on further thought, your Arovax Shield might be the alternative that's easier to implement... LOL

As for SG, I've always be a fan of Javacool's, but I fear he's been spreading himself too thin... The lack of movement with regards to MRUBlaster was in fact what led me to CCleaner in the first place...

His SpywareBlaster is still very much to be recommended, and it is being kept up to date as well

As for the Registry bit I'd like to see an export of the registry key in question.

Log on to the account where SpywareGuard does start up automatically.

Now go to Start > Run, and paste the following into the box, then click OK:

regedit /e C:\run.txt HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

That will export the contents of that key to a C:\Run.txt file

Paste the contents of the run.txt file into your reply, and I'll tell you how to proceed.

Here's that run.txt file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"CTFMON.EXE"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"

"SUPERAntiSpyware"="C:\\Program Files\\SUPERAntiSpyware\\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe"

Allrighty, now do the following:

Copy the text inside the 'Quote' box to Notepad, and save in a location of your choice as Fix.reg (make sure you save as type: 'all files')

Doubleclick Fix.reg, and answer yes when prompted to add its contents to the Registry. That will do the trick for you.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"SUPERAntiSpyware"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"SUPERAntiSpyware"="C:\\Program Files\\SUPERAntiSpyware\\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe"

Good luck!

TeaTimer is SpyBot's real time monitor. It watches certain registry keys and values, and it will alert you when an application wants to edit them, allowing you to either allow or block the change.

It will warn you when a browser plugin (BHO) or an ActiveX object is going to be installed, and it also monitors a great number of autostart locations and other potential hijack points.

Thanks guys for your help with the SpywareGuard and the SUPERAntiSpyware issues.

I've also taken on board your comments on SpywareGuard - although I'm also having problems with Arovax at the moment, so I'll keep SG until I've sorted them out.

Just one last question here, though, Tony - where can I find TeaTimer? Is it part of the basic Spybot package, or do I have to get it from somewhere else?

You're very welcome - glad to help. :)

As for TeaTimer, in SB, go to Tools > Resident, and put a mark in the 'TeaTimer' check box

It is however NOT recommended to have BOTH Arovax and TeaTimer (AND SpywareGuard) monitor your system. Make a decision which one you're going to use, then disable the others.

• 2 months later...