One Drive app affected by CCleaner

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, and sorry no screenshots, as I just realized this myself, and I don't want to re-create the problem just to post a screenshot.

But when I run the registry cleaner AND remove stored passwords using CCleaner (so not sure which one does this), the cloud icon for OneDrive in the systray continuously says "signing in" (when the machine is restarted), and when clicked on, and my account email is entered in the setup screen, it (the OneDrive icon in the systray) disappears and the OneDrive folder on my computer opens.  Also, then no more syncs occur with any files on my computer and the cloud. 

This caused me great frustration until I realized a workaround:  to uninstall OneDrive on my computer (version 19.070.0410.0007) and then re-install it using OneDriveSetup  (which you can either download or find on your computer somewhere assuming you have windows 10).  I imagine this process then re-creates the necessary registry key(s), but that's just a guess. 

This is an annoying workaround though because it then re-loads all my files again onto the cloud (over 25,000) once reinstalled from the setup file (even though they are there already), so it takes a bit of time to get back in sync.  

So also, until I hear any solution to this problem, I guess I won't be deleting any registry files with "onedrive" in its path, and also no more deleting stored passwords.  Because one (or maybe both) of those things causes this problem.  

• Moderators

It's probably the registry cleaner.

Microsoft recommends that you do not use any registry cleaner, especially with Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

Registry cleaners do have their uses, but they are more of a troubleshooting/repair tool and not something that should be used on a regular basis.
Cleaning the registry will not free up noticable space or make your computer any faster. (Years ago they might, but not with modern computers).
Unless you have a specific (Malware/virus) problem then it is best not to use them at all.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

8 hours ago, nukecad said:

It's probably the registry cleaner.

Microsoft recommends that you do not use any registry cleaner, especially with Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

Registry cleaners do have their uses, but they are more of a troubleshooting/repair tool and not something that should be used on a regular basis.
Cleaning the registry will not free up noticable space or make your computer any faster. (Years ago they might, but not with modern computers).
Unless you have a specific (Malware/virus) problem then it is best not to use them at all.

Oh wow thank you I wasn’t aware of that. I’ve been “cleaning” the registry on a regular basis so yes that was probably the issue. Just out of habit I guess since back in WindowsXP days it was useful to do so. But I guess now it’s actually harmful. 

Thanks again. 

• Moderators

With Win10 MS keep changing how/where things are strored in the registry and/or adding new keys all the time. (monthly with the cumulative updates).

No 3rd party reg cleaner can keep up with those changes, by the time they've worked out what has changed there are probably more changes, and so they may not recognise the new/changed keys and remove things that Windows 10 needs to work properly.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
1 hour ago, wizlon said:

Just wondering if it is worth moving the registry button from the main side menu and placing it in the Tools menu, it's very tempting to click where it is...

This will very probably happen in a future version, since it is a bit more of an advanced tool.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

It's been suggested many times by many regulars here, as you say it's just too tempting where it is as a big button.

At least if it was in the tools section inexperienced users may not be as quick to click it and clear their registry willy-nilly.
(We frequently see posts from users who have done just that and 'broken' their computer).

As of yet though Piriform have not taken any action on this.
I believe that at one time they said it was too dificult to modify the sidebar, obviously that's not true as evidenced by the new Easy Clean button.

Edit - That just crossed with Dave CCleaners post.
Good to see that they may be looking at moving it at last.

• 3 years later...
On 08/06/2019 at 14:51, Dave CCleaner said:

This will very probably happen in a future version, since it is a bit more of an advanced tool.

better happen, than probably, too much people got their PCs brocken because of registry cleaner function