I thought this might be a more suitable thread

cowboy357

For My stupid questions,,,OK is there a difference between wether it says office on it or not,My Wife needs that version because it is the only one She can tie into Her work puters from here & Her laptop when She,s on the ship, (She works for a major cruise line) also because it has exel, I guess A Lady She works withs husband is the one that built Our comuter, He,s very seldom in town & i never can catch Him Or I would ask Him, also is all i need is the disk & the key for $113.95 OR do I need the Retail version which is just over $200 I think,& what problems might I have installing it ? will I have to start from scratch & unninstall what I have ? The only 2 disks I got with the puter are a DOS disk, (Which I have no clue what its for) & a driver resource diagnostic disk, No book , no instructions, Nothing else,,,My puter works great now , but everyones got Me spooked & I cant afford for it to crash, Once again thanks for any input & all Your help, Cowboy

Windows XP is the current operating system. The two commercial versions are Professional and Home.

Office XP (obsolete) is a suite of applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). The adjective "Professional", etc. denotes what else is included, e.g., PowerPoint, etc.

The current suite is Office 2003 but 2007 has been announced.

Just my personal suggestion: switch to Openoffice

cowboy357's wife needs it for work It would probably be awkward for her to use one app at the office and another at home.

Cowboy: Is that "357" as in .357 Mag? SASS?

Thankyou for Your responses, & Yes Glenn Your exactly right on both counts, Wife needs it , & definetly on the 357 Magnum, Thanks again Cowboy

There aren't many differences between Windows XP Home and Professional but she may need Professional if she's connecting to any special app's at her company. The best bet would be to consult her company's IT support.

She should have no problem using Office 2003 (in Word, set the compatibilty to Word 2002) but, if she really needs to, I think that legally she can get an Office 2003 license and load Office XP from an old CD (her company must have some kicking around). It seems to me the Office XP bundles weren't quite the same as for Office 2003 so be careful and check for the app's she needs rather than rely on the version of the suite, e.g., Professional, Small Business, etc.