CCleaner Pro "Lifetime" Licence - why has it expired?

psychopomp1

28 minutes ago, BuggedByRenewalPrompts said:

I am in the same situation. Purchased CCleaner when there was no mention of a time limit on the license. The license worked for years and then suddenly expired. I renewed at a sale price. Now I'm being harassed to renew at double the price paid less than a year ago. What a disreputable company.

You shouldn't have opted to pay for the renewal. I now realise it's nothing more than an irritation. Nothing happens if you ignore it. I've been getting the pop ups just this week but it happens quite regularly, They are very misleading as all you are being offered is automatic updates and free servicing. The product itself just continues working if you do nothing. Turn off automatic updates and ignore the pop-ups in future. I'm sure Windows will eventually get an update that prevents CC Pro working and you will have to decide then whether to subscribe or look for an alternative product but until then don't worry.

• 1 month later...
On 02/10/2020 at 20:45, BuggedByRenewalPrompts said:

I am in the same situation. Purchased CCleaner when there was no mention of a time limit on the license. The license worked for years and then suddenly expired.

I've also the same problem. I've bought a Licence that was a Lifetime licence (I've never bought a single licence that expire after 1 or few years), with all the other programs (defraggler, recuva and speccy) and I DON'T WANT TO PAY A SINGLE PENNY for another licence, I only want to use my one forever.

• Admin
11 hours ago, Walty71 said:

I DON'T WANT TO PAY A SINGLE PENNY for another licence, I only want to use my one forever

And indeed that was always allowed, as it has been for 97%+ of the other customers who bought at the same time as you. 

For your privacy, if you would like more information as to why you were part of the ~3% who had their licence cancelled, it might be best if you contact customer support about that.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Hi guys - joining in on this.  I am also on the team of "I bought a one time never expiring license and expect just that".  Getting the "my license has expired crap.  I bought a physical copy of it at Office Depot and still have the disc. I will pull a screenshot of the EULA from it - stay tuned.

• Admin
7 hours ago, ZFreak said:

Getting the "my license has expired crap

Are you no longer able to register your copy of CCleaner?  Are you getting messages saying that your service has expired? Or that "Your CCleaner License Key is Invalid" ?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

• 1 year later...

I've been ignoring this issue since I started getting the nag screens a couple of years, but I'm in the same boat. I've been using CCleaner since I was an email administrator in the early '2000s, and bought the pro version in 2013 for the extra little features. I've still got my confirmation email and there is no mention of a time period except for the download link, which would have expired in about 60 days for some reason. Most of the features it offers can be done with built-in Windows disk management options, but the convenience of being able to schedule things in the background was nice, which is what the Pro Version allowed me to do for years. As a comparison, I bought the pro version of Malwarebytes around the same time, before it went to a subscription service, and they've always honored my lifetime license.

• Admin

@Stan Erhart: I would encourage you to take a look at the recommended posts above. But to recap:

• Piriform has has never marketed CCleaner Professional licences as being "lifetime", "perpetual" or "permanent".  Those words have only ever appeared in the descriptions of pirated version of CCleaner sold on places like eBay.  And most of those sellers learned their lesson a couple of years back when they realised that advertising something that never existed was a sure-fire way to get their listings removed.
  • Regardless, as with most people in this thread, nothing has actually changed for you.  If you bought CCleaner Professional directly from us back in 2013, are not using CCleaner in a business, or on more computers than you paid for (and enter your name and licence key correctly if you transfer it onto a new computer) then just like hundreds of thousands of other Piriform customers with old legacy licences, your copy of CCleaner Professional still works.*
  • Your service ended back in April 2014 - so you're not getting customer support or any new features, although if you're keeping CCleaner up to date then you are getting the updates to the cleaning rules.

You may get reminder notifications that you're not using the full CCleaner feature set and occasional notifications of a sale if there is one on.  If you do not enjoy reading them and expect that they are unlikely to ever be of interest to you, then you can turn them off by unchecking the Options > Privacy > Offers checkbox:

image.png

* unless, of course, you are not keeping your copy of CCleaner up-to-date, in which case it may be attempting to clean locations that various apps have since moved, etc and not working particularly well.

• 4 months later...

I too bought this product because it was a one time purchase (2015) that I could use on ALL  my home computers.   It was from Cleverbridge and it was Full feature set, software updates and priority support.  No mention anywhere of expiration.  This has come up a couple of times in the past when they upgraded and I always contacted them and they reactivated my code.  Haven't heard from them this time (other than getting instructions on how to renew my "subscription".  Waiting on their answer again and I am hopeful they will honor (grandfather) the users that purchased as lifetime product. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine in 2017 and was just fine with no updates or new features after 1 year. Now my license is showing "deactivated". I bought it directly from piriform. I wrote support and they told me they deactivate licenses that ask for refunds or are really old?? Is 5 years for a lifetime license "really old"?? 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Tue3742 said:

Is 5 years for a lifetime license "really old"?? 

For those pre-2018 licences, there was only 12 months of maintenance - so none of those licences have entitlement to customer support, Health Check, Software Updater, Driver Updater, or Performance Optimiser.  Since the automatic updates were given to free users back in 2020, the majority of those legacy licence holders have either upgraded to the new licensing, or just reverted to using the free product.

Since we can't be holding onto customer data indefinitely for folks who, in the bulk of cases, have not been using CCleaner Professional for years, old data for lapsed and inactive customers is periodically purged. 

1 hour ago, Tue3742 said:

I wrote support and they told me

I see that you contacted support 4 hours ago, but other than the acknowledgement receipt you wouldn't have had a human response yet (as your priority support ended in 2018).   If you are still relying on the smart cleaning, scheduling and multi-user cleaning features of CCleaner Professional for Windows, support can re-enable your account - although they will probably point out that you are either using a version with the past 4 years of features padlocked out, if you have been keeping yourself up-to-date, or that isn't cleaning your browsers any more if you are still on a version prior to 5.89 - and you would be able to keep going until such time as we eventually end-of-life the old licensing platform.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6-11-2022 at 06:59, LouW said:

Ik heb dit product ook gekocht omdat het een eenmalige aankoop was (2015) die ik op AL mijn thuiscomputers kon gebruiken. Het was van Cleverbridge en het was volledige functieset, software-updates en prioritaire ondersteuning. Nergens wordt melding gemaakt van de vervaldatum. Dit is in het verleden een paar keer naar voren gekomen toen ze een upgrade uitvoerden en ik heb altijd contact met ze opgenomen en ze hebben mijn code opnieuw geactiveerd. Ik heb deze keer niets van ze gehoord (behalve instructies krijgen over het verlengen van mijn "abonnement". Ik wacht weer op hun antwoord en ik hoop dat ze (grootvader) de gebruikers zullen eren die een levenslang product hebben gekocht. 

what invoices is nothing to find a subscription

Op 21-11-2022 om 18:59 zei Dave CCleaner:

Voor de licenties van vóór 2018 was er slechts 12 maanden onderhoud - dus geen van de licenties geeft recht op klantenondersteuning, Health Check, Software Updater, Driver Updater of Performance Optimizer. Sinds de automatische updates in 2020 aan gratis gebruikers werden gegeven, heeft de meerderheid van de verouderde licentiehouders een upgrade uitgevoerd naar de nieuwe licentie van zijn ze gewoon teruggekeerd naar het gebruik van het gratis product.

Aangezien we klantgegevens niet voor onbepaalde tijd kunnen bewaren voor mensen die in de meeste gevallen CCleaner Professional al jaren niet meer gebruiken, kunnen oude gegevens van tussentijdse en inactieve klanten regelmatig worden opgeslagen. 

Ik zie dat je 4 uur geleden contact hebt opgenomen met de ondersteuning, maar de ontvangstbevestiging zou je nog geen enkele reactie hebben gehad (aangezien je prioriteitsondersteuning is opgelost in 2018). Als u nog steeds vertrouwt op de functies voor slim opschonen, plannen en opschonen voor meerdere gebruikers van CCleaner Professional voor Windows, kunt u uw account opnieuw inschakelen - hoewel het waarschijnlijk is dat u een versie gebruikt met de afgelopen 4 jaar beveiligde functies, als u ervoor zorgen dat de up-to-date blijft, van uw browsers wordt niet meer schoongemaakt als u nog steeds een versie ouder dan 5.89 gebruikt - en u zou kunnen doorgaan tot het moment waarop we het einde van de levensduur van het oude licentieplatform beëindigen.

dit werd nooit vermeld op de facturen!

I brought a lifetime license for myself for a Christmass present to myself..

And this total scam of a company, now pretends that I never did as such....

They are theives and liars.

Incapapable of even saying sorry or admitting it.

I hope karma catch's up with them.

24 minutes ago, RSebire said:

I brought a lifetime license for myself for a Christmass present to myself..

And this total scam of a company, now pretends that I never did as such....

They are theives and liars.

Incapapable of even saying sorry or admitting it.

I hope karma catch's up with them.

nothing at all about what they are doing

On 23/06/2022 at 12:41, Dave CCleaner said:

Piriform has has never marketed CCleaner Professional licences as being "lifetime", "perpetual" or "permanent".  Those words have only ever appeared in the descriptions of pirated version of CCleaner sold on places like eBay.  And most of those sellers learned their lesson a couple of years back when they realised that advertising something that never existed was a sure-fire way to get their listings removed.

This is an absolute lie.  The license i purchased was from piriforms own site and was called a lifetime license.  To say that it was never marketed as such is absolutely disgusting and only shows that you will screw the customer over so your current ones should be watching out.

Your app, was not set to update and you have somehow made it so it can update regardless of my settings and re enable your nagging screens every time i boot,  just to use a product that i obtained a lifetime license for.  Piriform opted for a lifetime model in those days and we should have our licenses honored for supporting the original product.

Right now,  i can take a screenshot of your app telling me my license is expired,  and the license purchase stating "expiry - ".  In other words,  no expiry date.  I don't know how far you expect to get with blatant false advertising, but i was willing to leave you in the dust and stick with the legacy versions that still support my lifetime license, but your app has gone one step further and updated without my permission and continually nags me, even if i install the legacy versions.

I mean,  let's play devils advocate and ask you a simple question,  when you see a product has no expiry......  how long do you think it lasts?

• 3 months later...

you guys have scammed a lot of people (lifetime-licence)

it is never stated on an invoice that it is not a lifetime license but a one-year subscription
I therefore expect it to be resolved.
There are many more people who have scammed you with a lifetime license. If you do not take action to resolve this for us, we will ensure that Piriform Ltd will not exist for long because you have simply scammed people.