control pannel "locked up"

TheFiresInTheSky

hey! i really did it now, im at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm downloading stuff and my control pannels locked up now. most of the icons in there say this when i click on them, this operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. contact sys. administrator i tried DAF but that didnt do it. In regedit I pulled up this key. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel. "does the administrator have full permissions?" "Is Full Permissions checked?" FULL PERMISSIONS ISNT EVEN THERE! let me know if you could help me on this. thanks!

Using any files from Kellys Korner could cause alot of problems if its not meant for youe system or sets any restrictions so It would help to know exactly which files or fixes you have uses so we can reverse the damge cause.

Try exporting your policy keys to see if that has disabled anything

Open Notepad (Start Menu > Run > Type notepad and press OK)

Copy and Paste the contents of the code box into Notepad

regedit /e HKLM.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies"regedit /e HKCU.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies"copy HKLM.txt + HKCU.txt = result.txtdel /q HKLM.txtdel /q HKCU.txtnotepad result.txtdel /q result.txt

Goto File on the top bar and choose Save As, Change the Save As Type to All Files, Name it Check.bat then save it to your desktop

Double click Check.bat and it will export the info from your policy keys and open the results in notepad

Andy

it still is locked up. i dont get it... heres what i got,

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoControlPanel"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum]

"{BDEADF00-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}"=dword:00000001

"{6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF}"=dword:40000021

"{0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1}"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings]

"Hint"="hi!"

"FileName0"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\RSACi.rat"

"WarnOnOff"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings\.Default]

"Allow_Unknowns"=dword:00000000

"PleaseMom"=dword:00000001

"Enabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings\.Default\http://www.rsac.org/ratingsv01.html]

"l"=dword:00000000

"v"=dword:00000000

"s"=dword:00000000

"n"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings\PICSRules]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings\PICSRules\.Default]

"NumSys"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system]

"dontdisplaylastusername"=dword:00000000

"legalnoticecaption"=""

"legalnoticetext"=""

"shutdownwithoutlogon"=dword:00000001

"undockwithoutlogon"=dword:00000001

"verbosestatus"=dword:00000001

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

"NoStartMenuSubFolders"=dword:00000000

"NoControlPanel"=dword:00000001

"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000001

"NoTrayItemsDisplay"=dword:00000001

"HideClock"=dword:00000001

"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000001

"NoTrayContextMenu"=dword:00000001

"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

"StartMenuLogoff"=dword:00000001

Aaron I think that this is what you did...

Control Panel Applets

This tweak does not prevent the control panel applets from running, they just do not show up in control panel any more.

Start/Run/gpedit.msc. User Configuration/Administrative Templates Folder/Control Panel Folder. Select Show only specified Control Panel Applets (right pane) properties. Select the enable button/click the Show button.

A new window will pop up that will display control panel objects that are OK to show. Items not on this list will not be displayed in control panel when this feature is enabled. Here are the Windows XP Pro Control Panel applets:

System Properties = sysdm.cpl

Network Connections = ncpa.cpl

ODBC Administrator = odbccp32.cpl

Display Properties = desk.cpl

Add or remove programs = appwiz.cpl

Internet Properties = Inetcpl.cpl

Game Controllers = joy.cpl

Phone and modem Options = telephon.cpl

Time and Date Properties = timedate.cpl

Region and Language Options = intl.cpl

Power Options = powercfg.cpl

Mouse Properties = main.cpl

Accessibility Options = access.cpl

Add Hardware Wizard = hdwwiz.cpl

Sound and Audio Devices = mmsys.cpl

User Accounts = nusrmgr.cpl

Speech Properties = sapi.cpl

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

HAHAHA, PROBLEM! it is truely locked up using one of those programs.cant find which one tho. its not in the start menu and you cant use any shortcuts to get to it. i typed in gpedit.msc and got this just as when i try to do numerous other things...

aaaformat2uq.png

Did you replace the file? That file is extremely important!

Control Panel - Icons Missing

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load

Look in the right pane and you'll see the Control Panel Icons that have been disabled. You can either right click on the "don't load" subkey and select Delete to restore all disabled icons, or you can right click on each of the items in the right pane and select Delete to selectively restore them. Scroll up to Control Panel Applets for a listing of what each one is.

The change will be seen the next time you open Control Panel.

Also you should do a sfc /scannow...although I'm sure that you're just reinstalling windows. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi Aaron

I just noticed the topic, the policy check which I asked you to run through PM wasnt a fix for the problem, It was just a way to see what changes you have made and it is quite clear from the results why your having problems :blink:

Open Notepad (Start Menu > Run > Type notepad and press OK)

Copy and Paste the contents of the code box into Notepad making REGEDIT4 the top line.

REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]"NoControlPanel"=-[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]"NoControlPanel"=-"NoSetTaskbar"=-"NoTrayItemsDisplay"=-"HideClock"=-"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=-"NoTrayContextMenu"=-"StartMenuLogoff"=-

Goto File on the top bar and choose Save As, Change the Save As Type to All Files, Name it Fix.reg then save it to your desktop

Double click Fix.reg (or right click and choose Merge) and it will ask if you want to merge it into the registry, choose Yes and the values will be removed, If you want some of them to exist let us know which ones and we can add them back. After running the reg fix please run the policy check bat file again to confirm they were removed

Try your control panel again :)

Andy

thankyou so much andy! it fixed it and its working perfectly! how did you learn to do all that stuff and how long did it take to learn that?

Hi Aaron

Im glad it solved the problem , Im the same as everyone else on here and learn new things everyday, I just knew those values are not default entries and most restrictions are in that area so it was the obvious place to start.

Let us know if you have more problems anytime or which files you run from Kelly's Korner so I can make sure it hasnt changed anything else.

Andy