CCleaner 5.37.92.6309 install - "Downloading installation files"

The_Tinkerer

Just went to set up the latest CCleaner 5.37.92.6309 today, and had this happen during the installation:

ccleaner_537_downloading.png

Never had this happen before. I was under the impression that the CCleaner installer was a self contained offline installer, which it always was in the past.

I opened my user temp folder and was alarmed to see "GoogleToolbar" among other things. This are not "installation files," these are completely different programs that I didn't ask for, and do not want.

When the installer was finished I was shocked to find all kinds of programs I didn't ask for, such as Google Chrome. I am not a Chrome user, nor do I want to be.

I hope I didn't get any spyware or malware (I downloaded from Piriform.com). Now I'm going to have to spend more of my valuable time going an uninstalling this crap I didn't ask for.

Kindly post a list of all of the additional programs CCleaner installed without my permission. And please stop this extremely user un-friendly behavior.

• Moderators

The installer bundles either google toolbar or chrome. There is a checkbox on the opening screen of the installer to not bundle.  Bundling is what allows the company to continue the free versions of their programs.  They also (a few weeks after release) provide a slim installer which does not have a bundle.  Http://Piriform.com/ccleaner/builds is where you can get that.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

OK, thanks, I must have missed the check box. I swear I don't remember seeing it (which of course doesn't mean it wasn't there). I was able to uninstall Chrome and Google Toolbar. I tend to freak out when I install something and then see a unexpected programs on my system. :P