[Issue] Outlook passwords will be deleted

Hi,

For some time will be deleted all my Outlook passwords, when I'm using CCleaner. I use Office 365 and in CCleaner I have to stand Office 2013 and Office 2016. I tried it as I selected both things, also I tried it as both things were not selected and in every case  will be deleted my Outlook passwords.

How I can fix this for the future again?

• Moderators

are you referring to your email account passwords or the password on your PST file that is asked for when first getting into Outlook?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

ok, but I'm still not sure what password is being lost by CC.

is it the password to access your email account or the password to get into your OST file (if you have setup a password to access it)?

• Moderators

from what I can gather, you are losing your email account password when running CC - correct?

from my experience, CC doesn't, and in fact cannot, touch any password associated with Outlook, albeit the PST/OST access password or any account held within Outlook and for that reason - the are internal to Outlook.

we are talking Outlook, the desktop app, the program that's part of the Office suite aren't we???

and not Outlook.com, the website for checking some office365 accounts if you set it up that way?

yes, I'm losing my email account passwords when CC was running.

I don't know where Outlook (desktop app) is saving my passwords but if I just analyze it in CC then I get different entries in "All Users\clienttemplates.content.office.net", "All Users\odc.officeapps.live.com", "All Users\officeclient.microsoft.com" and "All Users\p.pfx.ms"

in total I get a count of 67 files.

all the time I am talking about the desktop app of Outlook in Office 365.

I guess you have to untick: Cleaner > Windows > Windows Explorer > Network Passwords.

Did you try this? If you are using Exchange the passwords are stored in the Windows Vault.

You can check that: Open the "Credential Manager" ("Control Panel" > "User Accounts") and you will find entries starting with "MS.Outlook" or "MicrosoftOffice".

CCleaner deletes the Windows Vault if you enable "Network Passwords"!

Open the "Credential Manager" ("Control Panel" > "User Accounts") and you will find entries starting with "MS.Outlook" or "MicrosoftOffice".

Do you have those entries?

Please copy the following line:

REG QUERY HKCU\Software\Piriform\CCleaner >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\cc.txt

Open a "Command Prompt" and paste the line into it.

Press "Enter", and on your Desktop appears a new file called "cc.txt".

Open the file, copy its whole content and paste it here.

• 2 years later...

I have been having the exact same problem.  The saved passwords in my Outlook (via Office 365) for each of my email accounts were being deleted.  When I unticked the "Network Passwords" box under Windows Explorer category this stopped this nuisance action.