Windows restore points deleted

Vajravrtti

I've just discovered that all my Windows retore points have been deleted. After a few tests I found out that CCleaner did it. To comfirm that, I created a restore point and then ran CCleaner: the restore point was deleted. If I create more restore points they are all gone after executing CCleaner. I think that was not suposed to be so, since I found no option about restore points in CCleaner.

I'm using version 1.28.277. This is the CCleaner log when 2 restore points were deleted:

CLEANING COMPLETE - (4,009 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14,45KB removed.

Secure file deletion enabled - NSA (7 passes)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files deleted

IE Temporary Internet Files (6 files) 402 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\desktop.ini 113 bytes

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Cookies\index.dat

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemess.log 11,68KB

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wmiprov.log 66 bytes

C:\WINDOWS\0.log 0 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\registry\data\org\openoffice\Office\Common.xcu 2,20KB

Hi Vajravrtti, and welcome to the forum :)

The log that you posted doesn't show any restore points being cleaned. I just ran some scans and my restore points are still there.

Try this:

* Right-click My Computer > properties > click the System Restore tab > be sure that "Turn of System Restore" is not checked.

* If "Turn of System Restore" is checked be sure to reboot after unchecking it.

If this isn't your problem, maybe reinstalling System Restore will work. <_<

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Thanks for you answer, krit86lr. :)

In fact, I had had already checked that System Restore was active.

Since you suspected of the System restore, I did many other tests changing CCleaner options.

First, I found that deselecting all Windows options the restore points were preserved.

The final conclusion was that everything is fine (restore points preserved) as far as the option Empty Recycle Bin in unchecked. When this option is selected all existing retore points disapear, even if CCleaner had no files to delete. The same problem occurs if I right click on the Recycle Bin and Run CCleaner.

I have an idea that may or may not work but I think that it's worth a shot. It seems as though this problem has yet to be resolved for some people in the past.

Download and launch DAF Medium > Tools > Reinstall System Restore > Go > Reboot. Then check the information in Post #2.

I am hoping that somehow your system restore settings got corrupted, and a reinstall will reset the default settings. If this doesn't work hopefully someone will think of more options.

Keep us posted! :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

First, I'd like to say that this problem is NOT caused by CCleaner.

After my last post I discovered that Empty Recycle Bin also delete the restore points.

Worse. Soon after a reboot, opening the Recycle Bin (just looking the files in it!) is enough to make all restore points vanish. :o

And this continue to happen...

...after running a full chkdsk (no problems detected)

...after uninstalling CCleaner

...after uninstalling Eraser

...after running Dial-a-fix to Reinstall System Restore

I have no idea of what to do next. :(

Any suggestions?

First, I'd like to say that this problem is NOT caused by CCleaner.

After my last post I discovered that Empty Recycle Bin also delete the restore points.

Worse. Soon after a reboot, opening the Recycle Bin (just looking the files in it!) is enough to make all restore points vanish. :o

And this continue to happen...

...after running a full chkdsk (no problems detected)

...after uninstalling CCleaner

...after uninstalling Eraser

...after running Dial-a-fix to Reinstall System Restore

I have no idea of what to do next. :(

Any suggestions?

Get DjLizard to help you. :)

Uhh actually I have no idea what's going on. Post in a Microsoft newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...d&lang=en&cr=US

or

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...0&lang=en&cr=US

an MVP may appear who might know what's going on, or how to track it down.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Okay, what about posting a HJT log, and if everything is clean doing a repair installation?

That question is @DjLizard by the way.

HJT log won't show anything that could possibly cause this, and a repair install is a bit drastic (and may not even touch the problem).

Have you tried disabling and then re-enabling System Restore? (right-click My Computer > Properties > System Restore). Disable it, hit apply, then re-enable it and hit OK. Then see if it still happens.

All else fails, post at the newsgroups.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Have you tried disabling and then re-enabling System Restore? (right-click My Computer > Properties > System Restore). Disable it, hit apply, then re-enable it and hit OK. Then see if it still happens.

Yes, I did all that. I also disabled the recycle bin but even so the restore points disapear when I just look at the recycle bin.

but even so the restore points disapear when I just look at the recycle bin.

HLS -- LMAO!

After running the command sfc /scannow (thanks, krit86lr) the problem was fixed.

The problem was probably caused by QSoft RAMDisk 1.0.

Thanks, everybody. :)

haha...You're lucky!!! :P

Glad it worked for you. ;)