Deep Scan and Skyrim Save Files

Question002

The main reason I'm using Recuva is to recover the Skyrim save files that I deleted, but I thought to myself that if I'm doing a scan I would take the opportunity to recover other files and pictures. 

So I chose to run a deep scan thinking that it would be more thorough.  It has been running for around 10 hours and in that time it's been stuck in 65% for like 7 hours.

Then I read the info about deep scans in the site and it says that it only reads certain types of files.  I didn't see the Skyrim save file extension in the list which is: .ess

According to posts I've read in the forums, 1TB hdd's deep scans could take up to 48 hours, so my question is:  Is the deep scan not going to recognize the game save files?  I would like to know so I can stop the scan and run a regular one, instead of waiting that long to find out that it didn't find what I was looking for.

• Moderators

Where did you read that deep scans only read certain file types. My experience is that, unless you type a filter before scanning, recuva finds files of all file extensions (and non-extension files too) no matter if you do a regular or deep scan.

Yes deep scans take much longer and are likely to provide files with "excellent" as a condition but in truth are only currently not overwritten, they may have at other times been overwritten though.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You may not have misunderstood, I've asked the developers to clarify, hopefully they will.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Have you heard anything from the devs?  The deep scan has been running for more than 48 hours now and I don't know if I should stop it and run a normal scan.  It's still stuck at 65% but it has read 2 or 3 thousand more files (it's at 1,935,110 files now).  Estimated time keeps going up and it's at 1 day now, probably still going up.

Another question: For how long can a PC stay on before it becomes dangerous to it's health?

• Moderators

A deep scan will run a normal scan first, which is possibly where all the unmentioned files came from. A normal scan will return any file type, with or without an extension, where a deep scan will - as far as I can tell - only return those file types mentioned in the link in post 3.

How long can a pc stay on? I dunno, five years?

• Moderators

Another question: For how long can a PC stay on before it becomes dangerous to it's health?

I'll put forward it's measured in days.

Even mission-critical servers usually have a weekly or monthly maintenance schedule where they get rebooted.

I'm yet to see a constantly left-on PC that doesn't suffer accumulative memory leakage issues.

Weird stuff just seems to occur and upon a reboot, all is right again with the world.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.