CCleaner Corrupts Outlook .PST Data File

I am running Windows 8.1. My Outlook 13 was working perfectly. I got a popup stating that I should run CCleaner to delete bloated files. After I ran CCleaner I tried to run Outlook 2013 and got an error message stating that my Outlook .pst data file was corrupted and could not be opened. After much travail, I found a fix--the Microsoft EasyFix repair program, scanpst.exe. I found it using the Search Charm and then ran it and it fixed my corrupted  .pst data file in about a minute and Outlook worked fine again. I removed CCleaner from my computer.

• Moderators

from my experience, I've never had CC kill my PST file.

I've used Outlook since day one and have used CC for about 4 years, running it about every 2nd month.

did you run the reg cleaner as well?

the only way you will know that CC was to blame is with further testing.

re-ran CC and see if it happens again.

my believe is you were simply unlucky or it was just coincidence. :)

I guess we'll never know now.

ScanPST came out with the first version of Outlook, for just such an occasion.

Like all databases, which Outlook's PST files are, they get corrupted.  Hence the free MS tool.

It's fairly rare, but happens enough that the tool is supplied.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 4 months later...

If your PST size is under 2 GB then Scanpst is the right choice, but if it is above 2 GB, it will take long time to scan and the result will be repair job failure. Why...? Because it is the limitation of Inbox repair tool that stops it to fix the PST file which size is exceeded than 2 GB. So if you've to finish the job quickly and your PST file is oversized, try any professional Outlook repair tool and here is a one of them: ************

• Moderators

I assume the above was edited by one of my fellow moderator staff and I can't see the edited by. Above is likely spam.

I'm with MTA that I've never had ccleaner touch my pst, nor does it contain any routines that could.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• mta locked this topic