CCleaner 5.14 won't initialize on Windows Vista SP-1

chiefhighliner

This forum is for Piriform, not windows, so please don't ask me why I am not running SP-2, but I will answer anyway. Once SP-2 is installed, updates no longer work (Windows Update). I've had to roll back to SP-1 twice, and now I just turn updates off and security center off and my computer has never been faster at booting up (35 seconds total) or shutting down (25 seconds total).

Anway, the last version of CCleaner I got to work on my computer (Compaq Presario SR5601-P) was 5.12.  After I downloaded version 5.14, the little circle thingee on the cursor spun around and nothing happened.  Tried again, nothing happened.  I have user account control turned off, even though I am the administrator, there are no permissions required.

I had a copy of version 5.12 on my jump drive, and it installed and worked perfectly.

Why won't the latest version run on my system?  The download just refuses to open.

• Moderators

make sure you are getting the download from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

if the normal build fails, try the Portable or Slim builds as they don't have the embedded Chrome offering.

EDIT: the Slim build should be there in the next few days, it normally gets released about a week after the normal build.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Nope.  Does the same thing.  Both the regular file and the unzipped exe file do the same thing when double=clicked: nothing.  The circle thingee goes around and nothing happens.

????

I guess I have to go back to reg mechanic or another program, this is ridiculous.

Or back to 5.12.

• Moderators

according to the official doc; https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/introducing-ccleaner/system-requirements Vista SP1 should be supported, so that should be the reason for your issue.

so did you try the Portable build?

what is you AV software?

have you tried installing the software with the PC in Safe Mode?

Windows defender active.  No other AV.  McAfee removed with the removal tool.  Same for Norton.  Too aggressive.

Yes, I did try the portable mode and safe mode and the same thing happens.  Nothing.

CCleaner 5.14, 5.15 does not launch.

Version 5.12 does.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

Thank you for trying though, it's not the end of the world.

• Moderators

Windows defender active.  No other AV.  McAfee removed with the removal tool.  Same for Norton.  Too aggressive.

Yes, I did try the portable mode and safe mode and the same thing happens.  Nothing.

CCleaner 5.14, 5.15 does not launch.

Version 5.12 does.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

Thank you for trying though, it's not the end of the world.

Please do the following

Open an administrator (uac elevated) command prompt

Run ccleaner in debug mode (see instructions sticky at top of ccleaner bugs board)

Post resulting log here

If no log report to us what the command prompt reported to you.

Also be sure to check that ccleaner isn't starting minimized to the system tray.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

as is your right of course.

it's just a pity we'll never get to the cause of your issue, and therefore maybe help others.

good hunting with the new program!