question about cleaning free space.

der153

So I was cleaning out my computer as I was selling it and I then ran ccleaner on it. I was using the drive wiper to clean up free space. I ran the option to clean free space with 3 passes

The scan's progress went up to 80% and I was running short on time and had to give my computer away.

My question is that if the scan only went up to 80% does that mean the free space wasn't cleaned fully or had the free space been ran through at least once already since I was doing 3 passes.

How does it work? does an advanced overwrite go through the system deleting all the free space until about 33% then do another pass in this sequence or does it run through each file 3 times then goes onto the next?

Basically, I just want to know if my system's free space had been cleared and passed through at least once like a simple overwrite (one pass).

• Moderators

I don't think that any of us knows. I imagine that the first task is to allocate enough files to fill free space, before running the multiple passes, in which case you already have one overwrite (the file allocation) should the file allocation be completed. But that's only my imagination.

• Moderators

From my understanding of how this process works, @Augeas is correct and summed it up perfectly.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

if you had to stop the wipe free space before completion, would there now be no space left as that zzzzzz? thing file it creates will still be there?

or does it get automatically removed at next reboot - I can't remember.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.