Video files recovered but unreadable

kb8991

I need some help:

• I took my SD Card from my camera and inserted it into a reader to transfer the files to my desktop
  • It started transferring but then displayed an error saying no file existed.  No transfer occured.
  • I couldnt read it in any computer, so I used CHKDSK to fix the boot file
  • I used Revuva to deep scan and recover the files (mostly pictures and videos)
  • The pictures are viewable so the recovery went well
  • The video's were all labelled excellent and recovered as .mov files

But when I try to play them on VLC or QT, i get a message that the file is not recognized.

What am I doing wrong or what can I do to fix this? I would upload a file but they are too big to post here.

• Moderators

Maybe the videos are missing the headers, my guess.

I don't know of any free video editing software that can handle the .mov (Quicktime, Apple) format (if those files are actual true Quicktime video) so maybe search the web and you "may get lucky."

I've exactly the same problem and procedure, but with a final difference: the recovered video is an mp4 (not a mov). So I recovered all my files, and I can view the photos AND small videos (less than 10mb), but doesn't happen the same with the rest of the videos.

Help please..!

Thanks

• Moderators

You mean apart from post two? Recuva will recover the contents of whatever clusters are specified in the directory entry, it doesn't check the code held  therein. If those clusters don't contain data conforming to a playable format then it will be very difficult to recover the original file data, if at all.

An SD card is probably formatted as FAT32. When files are deleted in FAT32 the directory entry for the stating cluster, and the cluster chains themselves, are corrupted. As we don't know what the OS is, let alone how the deletions took place, or how fragmented the data was, or what Chkdsk did, or how large the files were, it is not easy to offer any advice.