Winpooch

Eldmannen

• Moderators

I'm going to give it a try, from the bottom of the website it's been around for a little over two years therefore it isn't something that just appeared.

Real-time protection for ClamWin through Winpooch? From the website description I found it interesting that it can use ClamWin which will then give ClamWin the ability to check a file before it's executed.

• Moderators

I just tried it for several minutes, until I made the decision it really isn't for me. The concept is good and sound, I can't knock it for it's simplistic and easy to use GUI.

It reminds me of some rare but thorough software-based firewalls that have application protection built into them, I'm however just not talking about applications that can access the Internet, I'm talking about any application installed on the system. It has some Internet protocals/ports that it monitors as well, and it protects the HOSTS file.

One thing that got on my nerves in a hurry was the animated systray icon, the eyes were constantly moving back and forth, the second was the it doesn't come with a default rule-set that allows certain applications the ability to launch without having to manually create a rule - I mean when was the last time Notepad was a threat. Also the dialog that displays a message to allow or deny an application is sometimes painfully slow to the point where Winpooch is deemed not responding by Windows, however it becomes responsive again within a few very short seconds - however I don't know if that had anything to do with having real-time antivirus protection enable.

It will prompt you more times about more programs than anything I've ever seen, such as you have to set a rule for it to remember that it's o.k. for Command Prompt, Notepad, Clipboard and an endless barrage of other programs to run as they normally would, especially explorer.exe. I'm assuming it would be o.k. if you don't mind running almost every .exe on your system to create a rule for the application, strangely it detects some applications and asks for permission yet with others it doesn't.

I suppose it would be alright for someone that wants to go well beyond good yet usable security. The ability to use ClamWin and Kaspersky with it are interesting features. I can imagine just how secure it could make a public/office computer (if that wouldn't violate the license) by pre-blocking certain applications without the need to remove them or have a customized Windows installation.

Edit:

Fixed allot of typos and messed up sentences. Note to self: don't write this much stuff when I'm sleepy.