Google Play - Can't login

LuLu

Wasn't sure where to put this since it's not exactly computer related but whatever. lol I'm hoping someone can help.

A friend of mine has a Galaxy S2 tablet that was given to her by her niece when she got a new one. Because of progress in games on it, she left her niece's Google account info on it. Well, a few days ago she was prompted to update one of the games and when she tried, Google Play told her that it could not sync and she'd have to enter her password. She called her niece for the password and her niece basically said she couldn't remember it and ended up having to a whole new account for herself on her new tablet the other day. We're guessing she either didn't have a way to restore her password or still couldn't restore it after trying. But again, that's just a guess. Anyway, my friend went online to Gmail and reset the password to the account that way and then logged into Gmail as a test to make sure it worked. Then she went back to her tablet and put in the new password but it still wouldn't log her in. It wants the original password to the account. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this without having to do a factory reset? If there isn't, is there a way she can backup her current apps/games so she doesn't have to start from scratch?

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

Ok I'll pass that info along. If she were to do "add new account" and use the original email address with the new password and then delete the original do you think that would work? Or would she lose all of her apps that way?

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?