Win7 Problems

classicGGma

Hi, I'm new here and apologize if I do something wrong...just let me know.  Downloaded CCleaner last October, made no changes to any of its settings, then ran it.  The next day I had problems with Media Player but didn't connect the two.  Went to Microsoft Community to get help with that and several other problems (malware)...short story is in December, 2013 I mentioned I had started using CCleaner.  Was told should now do a "clean install of Win7' to correct registry errors caused by CCleaner...Help...

Thought I'd come here before doing the drastic clean install.  Did find instances of malware (original problems) that have now been cleared out, and changed my malware/virus software.  Can uninstall, reinstall Media Player to clear that up, but not certain what to do about other things such as constant error messages, lost communication between computer and printer (really need this fixed), different problems with some software installed.  I am tech-challenged, hoping to get to novice (?) soon, senior.  Willing to learn, but can get very confusing when Microsoft tech advised I can safely use CCleaner, then different techs say I screwed up big time by using it...also no backups done or records kept of exactly what was cleaned...I know...any ideas or should I just go ahead with the clean install after backing things up?

Forgot:  have cleared all Registry settings from CCleaner and still use to clear other temp, etc files out.

• Moderators

After reading what you have said I would think that some of your problems may have come from the malware you said you had. How did you make sure that all traces of it are gone?

I would do the clean install of Windows 7 if I were you provided you feel comfortable with doing it, that way you will start with a clean slate. Make sure any data you saved that you put back in (pictures, music etc) is virus scanned before putting it back.

As regards using CCleaner, just use the cleaner part of it (not the registry cleaner) that way you may stay out of trouble :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello. First thing you should try, is to do a system restore, back to the days or weeks before you started having problems. If you cannot make that for any reason at all, well, then i have to agree with hazelnut, about install windows 7 again. There are ways to get back your pc without reinstall the system, but honestly is just to much of a headache. It would take so much time and pain.

About the registry. Well, registry cleaner in ccleaner is one of the most, if not the most safe cleaner on the web right now, but what most people still don t understand is that cleaning the registry, do not really make your pc safer, faster and anything like that.

I have my system installed for over 1 year now, and i installed and unninstalled several and several programs, and never did a registry cleaning and my pc is just as faster as it was on the day i first installed it and safe to.

Registry cleaners are useful mostly for expirienced users to really correct something that went wrong in some point, but you really have to know what you are doing, and what registry key you are deleting and etc...

My advice, and this is really just an advice; leave the registry function alone.

Hope i could help.

Cheers.