Recovering music from iPod HDD

MikeOx

Hi there I'm new to this forum so hopefully this is the right place for it. I had a iPod Classic 80gb 6th gen break down on me and the thing I cared about the most was recovering the music so I bought an adapter to connect the HDD to my computer and therefore try and get back the music, most sites directed me towards Recuva and since I'm a loyal CCleaner user this idea seem most fortunate to me, however when I connected the HDD to my computer and launched Recuva it would ask me to format the drive in order for Recuva to recognize it, I did some searching first and found that it is possible to format and still recover the files as long as I don't try putting anything on the drive because that would overwrite it making me lose my files. So I formatted through Recuva when I was prompted to do so and chose NTFS format and I did not notice at first but it only formatted the HDD to a 9.29 GB (out of the 80gb which is it's capacity), I tried Recuva on two different computers and it won't find anything, I was hoping you could please assist me since according to what I read I haven't done anything that would make me lose the files.

It is probable that an iPod HDD holds data on a file system that Windows cannot correctly format.

I suggest you attempt to recover WITHOUT performing any extra writing or formatting.

Someone may be able to suggest a way of using Recuva without further writing and to get what you want,

otherwise there are alternative possibilities listed in

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=39620

Thanks for your input, although I already tried some of the software suggested in there which is ICare Recovery data to no success, I also gave EaseUs Data recovery wizard a go same result. I'll just wait hoping someone else might be able to further assist on this matter.

• Moderators

I'm just adding a mention that I'm doing some research on this Mike, and I'll post back with anything I find.

I believe the iPod Classic used to use the FAT32 filesystem but that may have changed with more recent generations, and I do know that there is a free Mac utility called "DiskDrill" which may be of help to you ...

DiskDrill:

... but I don't know yet as to whether it's only available for a Mac computer, which you may have access to.

Disk Drill can scan and recover data from virtually any storage device. This includes most internal hard drives, external hard drives, USB flash drives, cameras, iPods, Kindles, and memory cards.

Some info here on an apparently successful recovery with DiskDrill ...

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

Hope that may help for now, although the format to NTFS may not have helped, but not sure about that.

I'm also not sure how "free" DiskDrill free actually is. Sometimes there's a limit on the amount of data you can retrieve with free versions of software, but I haven't discovered that yet.

Thanks! I will give them both a try when I get back home later on tonight, by the way do you by any chance have a link to a more detailed help file? I found these two guides:

http://www.cgsecurit...ec_Step_By_Step

http://www.cgsecurit...sk_Step_By_Step

But after reading them I find them rather difficult, like they're working on recovering different stuff I'm not sure, I just don't want to mess it up and end up being unable to recover my files.

• Moderators

Start with PhotoRec, which unlike it's name suggests, will recover more than photo's, and will not write anything to your iPod at any stage until you choose the recovery location.

Have a look at these three tutorials, and you'll see that at the end of the process you are asked where you want the files recovering to, and that is the only time PhotoRec will write anything to drive, and it will only write to the location you choose.

If you do get to that stage, and can't work out confidently where to recover your files to, post a screenshot of that particular screen and I'm sure we'll be able to advise.

The first thing of course is to simply see if PhotoRec will pick up and list your iPod in it's list of drives, and if so use the up/down arrow keys to navigate through the options of choosing the drive, and the file system. None of which will write to anywhere. You're just setting up a scan at this stage.

TestDisk has a lot more options, some of which will write to the drive if you make a mistake so if you're in doubt, leave it alone for now.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJdx2ORi3r4

The above recovery is done on a Linux operating system and starts with the downloading of TestDisk, but it is about PhotoRec which comes in the same installation, and the tutorial although on a non windows system, would be the same for windows. It applies to your situation from about the 1'24" position.

The only difference is the type of file system chosen.

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sevenforu...y-software.html

This is a pictorial demo and in your case I would go straight to the search when you reach the "Third Window" stage, which takes you to the "Seventh Window". You would then be able to go through the various stages to the "Tenth Window" which is where you choose where to save the files.

Only after doing that would any writing be done to the location you choose.

--------------------------------------------------------

And another pictorial demo, quite straightforward, and although on a Mac, the process is the same.

http://www.makeuseof...dows-mac-linux/

Take your time and I'm sure these will help Mike, but if you have any doubts, come back and we'll take it from there.

Apparently the iPod now uses the HFS+ file system, which both TestDisk and PhotoRec can scan.

Please note that Lazesoft also includes "HFS Plus File System" under its Data Recovery => Partition Recovery capabilities.

I have no HFS drive so have no experience with anything but RAW, FAT32, FAT, and NTFS.

Thanks! I was able to use PhotoRec through the Tenth Window no problem but after that comes selecting where to save and I know the saving is made on my main drive (C:/) and not the external one but I read that step takes some writing so I figured I would ask you if it's safe for me to save?

By the way I'm not sure which of these two options I should go for, my guess would be the second HPFS - NTFS because you said the drive was HFS before and now it's NTFS so it makes sense but according to the guy on the youtube video the default one is the most proper choice since the program itself selects it on default and the highlighted one is the one shown as default which would be the first Sys=3F, so which one should I go for?

post-67648-0-50712300-1381808132_thumb.jpg

And one last thing, I saw this screen on the tutorials but I was never prompted to choose the formats because this screen never appeared, but maybe I shouldn't mind this.

photorec4.jpg

• Moderators

Hi Mike.

The format you did on the drive seems to have raised a small anomoly with two file systems on the same partition as read by PhotoRec.

There isn't a precedent for this, so I would go for the one showing the largest size, which is the second in your small screenshot, but you can try the other one if you don't yield the right results from the first. You aren't gonna write to your iPod so you could scan it again afterwards and try something different.

Your question on the save location.

TestDisk and PhotoRec always default to the installation folder as the default save location. I have tested that with different locations, so if the TestDisk folder on your C: drive is OK by you and your C: drive has sufficient space, then that would be perfectly safe.

For your benefit, and maybe for others who find the save location a bit difficult to work out, this is how you navigate through both TestDisk and PhotoRec to change the "save-to" location.

Image 1: The default location. (Always the installation folder (arrowed), and the contents of that folder shown down the right)

post-8751-0-12547000-1381850783_thumb.jpg

Image 2: Use the left arrow key to move "up" a folder level. One key press moves out of the TestDesk folder one level up. All folders in that new level shown on the right.

post-8751-0-49944800-1381851018_thumb.jpg

Image 3: Another press of the left arrow key moves to what would be my "My Computer" screen, with the available drives displayed on the right.

post-8751-0-98382400-1381851134_thumb.jpg

With regard to your question re "File Options", that choice should appear immediately after you have selected the drive ...

post-8751-0-66273400-1381851268_thumb.jpg

If I were you, I would miss that option and scan for everything. You mainly want media files but you may get back settings and library type files as well which may come in handy. Your choice if course.

EDIT: Lazesoft Recovery Suite is also well worth trying. It's far more user friendly but may not yield the same results. Could be better or worse, so try both.

Well I tried scanning both on PhotoRec and both came with same result 0 files recovered, now I'm yet to try that Lazesoft software which I'm guessing if it doesn't work I'm pretty much screwed, huh?

Edit: Just tried Lazesoft and it didn't work either, it was pretty much the same result as using Recuva or EaseUs software which was recognizing the drive as a 9.79GB drive and would only find some weird folders like RecycleBin and LostFiles I think. When working with Lazesoft I noticed a different option which is recover partition then attempt to recover lost files, would this help or make it worst? I don't know what else to do anymore.

Partition Recovery IS the one to use.

It does NOT write anything to to iPod.

It DOES find and recover files that were in partitions that Windows can no longer see.

In partition recovery you can select no more than one partition at a time,

BUT you can select the complete physical drive and this defaults to Automatic Recovery rather than specific types

AND if you wish you can check the box "Specify Search Range ..."

and that allows you to change the start point and the quantity of sectors to search (and shows the total number of sectors on the drive).

It might not do what you need, but it may,

and it only takes a bit over 2 hours to search an entire 600 GB HDD which was GPT and Windows spuriously changed to MBR.

so it would probably take no longer than a coffee break on your 80 GB HDD.

In your particular case you over-wrote the HFS+ 80 GB partition by using Windows which formatted the first 12% as NTFS.

This is an unfortunate complication, but I think you risk further damage if you now attempt to undo what has happened.

I hope that Lazesoft can overcome all obstacles for you as it has for me.

@Mike

It looks as if you tried too hard and did not get the 20.9 MB download of the Home version from Softpedia which is Free of charge and free of limitations,

but instead got the 172 MB download of the Unlimited Technician version which costs $199 and may have severe limitations if you have not yet purchased and registered.

Partition Recovery commences with the bottom right corner stating

"Selected files: 0 (0bytes(s))"

and during the initial scan of the drive I can click on a box in the left hand side,

and a tick appears in the box and the summary in the bottom right corner will show the totals of all that it has detected at that stage.

Your screen-shot does not show any totals, zeros or otherwise.

I also notice that on the extreme left of some boxes are smaller squares with '-' or '+' to allow expansion of a tree view.

The Home version has no small squares, instead it has right pointing "arrows" in the shape of triangles.

The above is all consistent with your having the most powerful version from that developer,

but it needs purchase/registration before it will do anything useful

It also looks as if you did not try hard enough :rolleyes:

You have to tick any box on the left to select all the files which are within that folder

You have NOT ticked partition E:, nor either of the "Damaged Partitions"

Please note that "LostFiles" and "Lost Folders" may be exactly what you need,

They might be "lost" because they have been over-written or they might be perfectly usable but the original path is unknown.

NB Please refrain from quoting the posts you are answering,

It makes my wrist ache scrolling down to the bottom of a long topic :)

Regards

Alan

Well I tried with the free Home Suite vesion and the results where pretty much the same, I ticked all of the boxes and then tried saving the files to the C:/ drive and there were only a few useless files I think, unless those Lost Files and Recycle Bin folders are any use, because they sure don't have any songs in there.

post-67648-0-22540500-1381941767_thumb.jpg

Should I give up now?

• Moderators

Mike, did you open up all the branches (+ signs) to the file tree?

The fact that you're getting any files at all is not a bad thing. I've seen many instances like yours where TestDisk, PhotoRec and others haven't even recognized a drive or partition to scan. We'll see what Alan has up his sleeve.

Thanks you guys, and yes Dennis I did as you can see in the pic attachment on my previous post, I ticked them all and save all of them although they weren't too many files. One thing I forgot to mention is when I checked those recovered files they were definitely recovered from the ipod because it had some of the game files that come preinstalled on it and which I never used I mean I never played those ipod games but I kept them because I wasn't able to delete them, however that was all that I found ipod related no songs.

Edit: I removed the quotings I made for easier browsing Alan.

Thanks for removing the quotes.

Two separate avenues for you to follow.

Give a full and comprehensive description of all the circumstances surrounding "I had a iPod Classic 80gb 6th gen break down on me".

Some one may know ways of bringing an iPod back to life.

It might be appropriate to start a new topic in the hardware forum.

Get advice from Lazesoft developers.

When you launch the Recovery Suite, on the bottom left corner is a HELP button.

This provides Tutorials and explanations.

The final section is "Questions and Support", and gives an email address for support.

They were very helpful with all my questions via email, normally responding within a day.

I very strongly suggest that you ask their advise for resolving your problem.

Also obtain their opinions on my following suggestions :-

Their product is able to create partition image backups and restore them,

and I have tested and proven this on a range of Flash Drives using FAT32 and NTFS.

It would be a good idea to create an image backup before any further modifications to the iPod file system.

Data Recovery options include FAT/FAT32 and NTFS and HFS+

It is reasonable to assume that Image / Restore will include HFS+,

BUT I rarely trust assumptions, so I suggest you ask them if Restore will work on HFS+ as well.

Lazesoft can delete and create partitions.

You just possibly might benefit by either :-

creating a 71 GB partition after the 9 GB NTFS partition; or

deleting the NTFS partition and creating an 80 GB partition.

When you create a partition, there is more free space available for files with FAT (which has no overheads) than FAT32 (which has a couple of File Allocation Tables),

and NTFS is even worse with its MFT.

I think that FAT will cause the least amount of extra damage to any data that may still be present.

BUT follow whatever Lazesoft advises you.

P.S.

You can create a Lazesoft WinPE Boot disc and this is needed for image backups of Windows Partition C:\.

WinPE is able to bypass the access restrictions and aggravations of a live Windows partition.

The thought occurs to me that your Windows might be "infected" with DRM which imposes severe restrictions on access to iTunes,

and just possibly Windows DRM is stopping Lazesoft from recovering your music, whilst WinPE is free of DRM.

All the best

Alan

I will try the second option and report back to you, thanks.

By the way I had my iPod playing and a friend of mine accidentally dropped it into a bucket full of water, I managed to retrieve it within seconds but still the damage was done because it froze and I wasn't able to turn it off by just pressing the Play/Pause button because it just wouldn't turn off as it had already frozen from the water damage so then I got a red X inside a circle sign and it shut itself off, I tried drying by leaving it inside rice for about 7 days and it wouldn't work, I was most concerned about the music so I decided to tear it apart and try to recover my music which is what I'm trying to do now.

• Moderators

Mike, have you been using iTunes to "sync" your iPod?

That may seem a daft question if iTunes is the only thing one can use to transfer music etc, but I've never been an iPod owner.

You've never mentioned whether or not you have all this music in another location such as an iTunes library. Are you just transferring music manually to your iPod with no iTunes type "library" to speak of?

Hey Dennis I did not sync music, I always transferred manually through iTunes so I did not have a back up, my current laptop is running low on storage so no way I could back it up so that's pretty much why I don't have the tunes in my laptop.

By the way they just replied back to me and I'm about to try what they suggested:

Actually, to recover HFS+ data, you need a Lazesoft Recovery Suite

Professional Edition.

Here is the download link of new version of Lazesoft Recovery Suite

Professional Edition.

http://www.lazesoft..../lsrspsetup.exe

You do not need to buy a license. We just hope you can recommend our

product to your friends and help us to promote our free product.

After downloading the setup file of Lazesoft Recovery Suite Professional

Edition, please set it up.

Then run it and use <Data Recovery> -> <Partition Recovery> module.

In the <Partition Recovery> module, please select the whole IPod HDD. Then

begin to search data on it.

If you have any question, just contact me. Thank you.

Edit: Tried it, didn't work:( I think I'm gonna call it quits now.

Edit: They suggested something else with gave me over 6000 mp3 files but they were less than 500kbs each, and were about 2gb in total so I guess I am screwed at this point.

• Moderators

I'm out of ideas how to get anything off that drive and file system with free software, and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you Mike. It's a painful way to learn the need for a backup.

I hope you can eventually get your music collection built up again.