Windows 8 Scan drive vs CHKDSK

mta

• Moderators

Thought I'd pass this on in case it helps others...

Had a problem with a hard drive, scanned it with Windows 8 by right clicking the drive, Properties, Tools, Check and it found no issues.

Did a DOS CHKDSK and it found 3 files with CRC errors.

So unless the GUI Win8 scan disk is only meant to find the most obvious, high level errors, it's useless !!!

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I missed this one mta, but I'm wondering if the "DOS CHKDSK" means you did it via command line.

hazel linked to an article recently which wasn't about this particular issue, but some chap mentioned in the article that he had tried fixing a problem using CHKDSK from the drives right click options menu with no success, but tried running it again from command line and it fixed the problem.

If I can find the link I'll edit it in.

EDIT: That took some finding ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=39280entry238680

• Moderators

thanks for the link @DennisD, i followed yours then followed hers, plus from my experience, i am agreeing with @Andavari, i'll be doing my 'scans' from DOS from now on.

(and yes to answer your question, I did do it from the command line in DOS - thank {insert preferred religious deity} for DOS)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

It is interesting that I've noticed on here and other help forums, members who are obviously technically proficient and knowledgeable, recommending someone run CHCKDSK to try fix an issue and usually giving them a command line instruction to copy or copy/paste.

I always assumed that the helper was probably "old school", and had always done it that way, but this topic and the snippet from hazels original link shows what probably the majority of computer users don't know, and that is the right click properties menu option of CHCKDSK isn't a user friendly equivalent to running it via command line.

One lives and learns.

• Moderators

The nice thing about the CLI option of using ChkDsk is that you can make a batch file to check all your hard disks one after another.

Of course doing it that way you'd have to leave C:\ for last since it must be scheduled on next reboot, and then have the system automatically reboot all via a single batch file is very convenient versus SLOWLY fumbling through the GUI.

This is what I personally use (which can be modified to suit anyone's needs of multiple hard disks/partitions:

@ECHO OFF
ECHO **********
ECHO Check Disk
ECHO **********
ECHO.
ECHO -----------------------------------------------------------
ECHO.
chkdsk.exe /X /V /F D:
ECHO.
ECHO.
chkdsk.exe /X /V /F E:
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO Information:
ECHO Press any key on the keyboard to schedule a
ECHO Check Disk scan on drive C and to have the
ECHO computer reboot immediately to run the scan.
ECHO.
ECHO Note:
ECHO If you don't want to run the scan right now
ECHO just close this Window by clicking the X at
ECHO the upper-most right of this window.
ECHO.
ECHO.
PAUSE
ECHO.
chkdsk.exe /F C:
shutdown.exe -r -t 20 -c Restarting to run Check Disk on drive C
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO To abort press any key on the keyboard.
ECHO.
ECHO.
PAUSE
ECHO.
shutdown.exe -a
CLS
EXIT

• Moderators

I like that GUI version, being one who was never into command line.

It also tells you if a drives "Dirty Bit" is set or unset, and for anyone following this thread and not knowing what that means, a useful explanation here ...

http://www.microsoft...y.mspx?mfr=true

Being a standalone exe file, that's a keeper for me, so thanks for the heads-up dvdbane.

What happens if your disk is bad - really bad - so bad that Chkdsk has never or almost never seen on in that condition.

I would assume that Chkdsk might provide an obscure diagnostic that would baffle most people.

If the developers of CheckDiskGUI have never encountered that obscure diagnostic, how would they present a "User Friendly" interpretation ?

• Moderators

How do we know they don't Alan?

The GUI is running the command line version of CHKDSK, so at the very least you would get the same feedback, if any, that running it directly from command line would give you.

I think the point of the tool is to make the execution and running of the command line version of CHKDSK easier for less experienced users. Whatever the outcome of a scan is, it isn't going to be any worse than the outcome of running it directly, and maybe, and none of us know this, there may be a more user friendly outcome.

Either way, it's a boon to a lot of people, (like ERUNT GUI) who would probably just run CHKDSK from the shell properties menu.

I think it unlikely that the developers would provide a "user friendly" interpretation of an error message they have never seen,

but I would fervently (piously) hope that the GUI would then forward the original cryptic message.

I am very sorry, but though I was born with hope, Windows BSOD's have beaten it out of me :(