Pros and Cons of Drive Wiper

AndrewB

Just to clarify, I'm a rookie at this :). I've recently wanted to boost up my computer's performance, thus using the Wiping Free Space feature in CCleaner seemed like a good idea (for me of course). I started a Very Complex Overwrite (35 passes), however I've found out on a few forums that this process has pros and cons; especially the ones with multiple passes. After reading about disadvantages based on "Click Of Death" in worst case scenarios, CCleaner already reached over 72% of wiping my drive (I left it for 1 or more days on going). Due to my panicking and perplexivness, I've canceled it immediately. Can anyone tell me possible riks that might affect my HDD? I know this sounds ridiculous, but I don't want my hard drive to be wore out as my laptop is only a year and a half old.

Wiping 35 passes is like washing a car 35 times in one day. Once is enough, with less drive wear.

Even though, does it cause any significant change to the hard drive after single 35 pass overwrite? - slowed down performance or any related issues?

• Moderators

drive wiping is purely for security not for performance.

the downside, as with any unneeded, excessive I/O on the drive, is longevity.

but to answer the question specifically, after the single 35 pass overwrite, "does it cause any significant change to the hard drive?" - No.

but the flipside is, Was it needed? - No, Would I do it to my drive? - No, Is it excessive? Hell Yes.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

One pass at disk wipe is enough so do not overdo it. As for the hard disk being damaged, this is not the case. Your hard drive will still be okay after you quit the wipe. Disk wipe is not done for performance but rather something to do with Anti forensics. Once wiped, the data becomes unrecoverable and hence if disposed you can be sure no one will acess it.

Read some more information on the link below that I came accross while I was trying to answer your question.

http://......

• Moderators

You seem to have developed a habit of depositing a single post on many forums with a link to that site. You won't get a Gold Star here.