Noob question about Defraggler and Windows 8 & laptops

GrooTheWanderer

Hello all,

I just bought a new entry level gaming laptop with windows 8 on it and I was wondering if Defraggler is safe to use on it. I know that windows 8 has some new type of safeguards to guard against rootkits and wont let you ( by default ) I guess to boot up from the HD and instead prefers booting to the network. ( sory if my understanding is crude lol ) Anyhoo, my questions are #1 When you install Defraggler on windows 8, does it automaticaly set up to do a ,"offline" defrag ? I heard that as soon as you set up Defraggler to do a offline defrag that it locks up your machine. #2 If the offline defrag is set to run on the install by default, can I opt out ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Groo

sorry for the double post,it was a accident :(

Hello all,

I just bought a new entry level gaming laptop with windows 8 on it and I was wondering if Defraggler is safe to use on it. I know that windows 8 has some new type of safeguards to guard against rootkits and wont let you ( by default ) I guess to boot up from the HD and instead prefers booting to the network. ( sory if my understanding is crude lol ) Anyhoo, my questions are #1 When you install Defraggler on windows 8, does it automaticaly set up to do a ,"offline" defrag ? I heard that as soon as you set up Defraggler to do a offline defrag that it locks up your machine. #2 If the offline defrag is set to run on the install by default, can I opt out ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Groo

• Moderators

double post merged.

I have never heard of defraggler requiring or setting any defragg to happen after install.

I have no idea what offline defrag is (maybe you mean boot time defrag)

As long as you have a HDD and not a SSD defraggler is perfectly safe to use in windows 8 including boot time defrag.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

i've been using DF on Win8 Pro x64 since Win8 came out, no probs.

if by offline you mean not scheduled (like the MS one is), then that too works fine.

if you have a SSD, when installing DF, it doesn't matter if you tick or untick the option to replace windows disk defragmenter as Win8 no longer 'defrags' but 'optimises' instead.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.