How to instal new versions of Defraggler and other Piriform's softwares?

Whiplash

O.K., that can be an amateurish question, but I need to put it here. It's not just about Defraggler, but also about all other Piriform's programs.

Is it O.K. just to download and install a new version over the old one, or it's recommended to uninstall the previous one first?

• Moderators

Just download and install each new version over the already existing version, many people have done this for years without any issue. This allows you to always keep your setting intact.

The only time it could be necessary to do a clean install is if something is so messed up it forces you to uninstall, reboot, and then install the newest version - that would be a very rare situation though.

Well, I actually got one weird problem while doing it over the previous version. It happened with this last version v2.14.706.

After I did that, it said that I need to restart my PC. It was weird for me cause it never asked that with earlier versions while I was installing them. But, anyway, I decided to restart it immediately.

But after I did that, I saw the desktop and then in few secs my screen became blue saying that PC will restart in order to prevent itself from a damage.

After few unsuccessful restarts, I got a message like:

The system has recovered from a serious problem. A log of this error has been created.
Error signature:
BCCode: A, BCP1: EB532A8, BCP2:000000FF, BCP3: 00000000, BCP4: 806BB1BE,
OSVer: 5_1_2600, SP: 0_0, Product: 768_1.

But, actually, seems like PC isn't recovered totally. I'm still getting some random restarts with the same blue screen.

That never happened before while I was installing Defraggler after uninstalling previos version first.

I installed CCleaner few times over the old versions, and this problem didn't appear there. It never asked me to restart my PC.

• Moderators

Your Defraggler "issue" is possibly because of the right-click shell extension the install version allows, and many programs with a shell extension can require a restart to replace the .dll file with the newest version since it could be locked and in-use by Windows.

If you believe it's Defraggler causing the issue and if you're having trouble getting your computer to start normally you could try uninstalling it in Safe Mode, and then restart your computer normally and use it for several hours or days to see if that fixes the problem or not. Doing this could help rule in/out it being caused by Defraggler. If everything is running well after awhile you could then update to the newest version of Defraggler and see how that goes for several hours or days.

Edited by Andavari
Fixed typos