Really shrinking the $MFT

Guest Keatah

I was able to run a compact mft with Total Defrag trial version.

FWIW, I tried it on all of my drives, and the results were slim on most of them, except my system drive, where it trimmed the $MFT file from 460.75MB to 156.25MB. My assumption is that this is because there was a larger difference between deleted and actual files on my system drive than on my storage drives, which for the most part I don't delete much on.

• Moderators

@winapp2,

so you have noticed marginal speed benefit and minimal space gain?

how long did the process take?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Indeed I too have loaded a trial of Total Defrag and run it against a 100mb partition. The (small) MFT had no spare records to start with, so I loaded a modest folder with 50 or so files, then another, and then deleted the first, leaving a space of 50 deleted records in the centre of the MFT. I then ran TD Compact/no truncate and using WinHex and Recuva I could see that the MFT had been compacted, and with no restart required.

I will dig a little deeper later. I know that you (being an application) can't modify the MFT. Edit it with a hex editor and a minute later the changes are backed out by NTFS.

Having only 170 records the process took only a few minutes

Guest Keatah

If it can lock the volume, e.g. External USB, then it will process right away. C:\ requires reboot.

On an older Dothan Core 1.7GHz machine, I noticed a faster Start menu response. The icons and sub-folds there populated noticeably quicker. For a little more performance I used that Disktrix Ultimate Defrag to bring all the $Metafiles close together. Synergystically these two work well together.

I was able to knock 4 seconds off of loading Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator.

About 3-5 seconds off Photoshop CS2.

A modern i7 hexcore and similar would bury any latency with a sledgehammer I'd fathom..

@winapp2,

so you have noticed marginal speed benefit and minimal space gain?

how long did the process take?

I haven't except for one place*, but that's presumably because my system drive is solid state.

I left the room to grab a drink while it restarted and did its thing, and by the time I got back it was finished.

* After trimming the $MFT files across my drives, the program "Search Everything" appears to populate a bit more quickly.