Search for emtpy folders

AngeliHaas

• Moderators

not a bad idea but it probably goes against the default CC settings of a softly, softly approach.

Keatah is right, the potential to break something would be there, not that I've seen any yet (do you have some examples Keatah).

I know whenever I've seen an empty folder, I'll delete it. If the app is written well enough, it'll recreate the folder.

It it's poorly written, you get an error message and you can manually recreate.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Exactly how many bytes will be released for reuse when an empty folder is deleted ?

I guess none at all.

On the other hand Windows may use bytes as it records everything that you do from start-up to shut-down,

including the removal of an empty folder that never did no harm to anyone

Alan_B: That is correct, but for the following reason.

NTFS stores folder names, in fact everything, as a file. NTFS stores $MFT entries in a b-tree structure. Each entry consumes 1024 bytes of space at the minimum. Each folder name is like a zero-byte file. It consumes a small amount of space. Record keeping, attributes, alternate data streams, cluster lists, security permissions. And more.

Typically a 5 year old install has about 300,000 end-points on the b-tree.

Deleting an entry (or group of empty directories) does not shrink the b-tree or free up free disk space.

Deleting an empty folder is like snipping a leaf off the tree. The branches remain!

@MTA: I don't recall any specific examples offhand. But on a whole, the situation is improving. Programs are getting better at re-creating empty/missing folders as needed. But if the program goes ahead rebuilds them I just leave them.

• Moderators

i just like doing it cause I'm anal like that.

If it's empty, I kill it, why leave it there, it just makes eye-balling your drive more time consuming.

and like Keatah, if it gets recreated I will live it be.

@Alan_B, you're right, I don't do it for space recovery, purely for a clean folder tree.

with me doing it, I have no-one else to blame if it causes sife-effects, it wouldn't be something I'd like CC to do unless it could be turned off.

Maybe it is a way to save the name and location of a deleted folder to have a way to recover it like the recovery function in CCleaner with registry entries.

Possible, sure. But the record keeping and entries CCleaner needs to store to manage that feature, plus the added code, would far outweigh any space savings. Each unused folder takes 1-2Kbytes. This is insignificant. Even if you have 200,000 empty folders. Still insignificant.

One must be careful that the cleaning program doesn't bloat itself to the point where it's better to run without it. Look at winapp2.ini. That is HUGE! I personally use about 50 entries from it. The rest is excess.

But then again, I surmise that most of us here are borderline (if not full blown) OCD when it comes to system cleanliness and cyber-housekeeping.

• Moderators

i prefer the acronym CDO (i'm so OCD I have to have it in alphabetic order) :)