Defragging entire drive - why?

ramtodatry

1. Discussing my D drive (data only); no system files except my relocated paging file (not on C drive)

2. The drive was defragged the night before last - 0 fragmented files, 0 fragments, 0% fragmentation

3. Added about a dozen files yesterday, and started defragmentation last night

4. The defragmentation process ran for more than 2 hours last night, and I stopped it.

5. Started again this morning, and kept running for more than 2 hours, and I stopped it again - stuck at 41%, 4 fragmented files, 8 fragments, (also started at 4 fragmented files, 8 fragments).

6. Look at the attached screenshot.

7. Instead of just defragging the fragmented files in the blocks that are fragmented (or) fragmented (low occupancy), the program is starting at the beginning, and attempting to defrag all the blocks - even the ones that are not fragmented, and also is trying to defrag the page file.

8. This is evident as you sit and watch the blocks being read (yellow colored block) moving across the blocks, and the file that is being worked on at any given moment - on the Status tab.

Need to having the following fixed:

1. The Paging file needs to be included in the Settings > Options > Advanced > Exclude (in addition to the Restore Point and Hibernation Files) in the "Custom Fragmentation Settings" - Exclude, (OR) excluded by default.

2. If the Analysis already knows the following:

o Block not fragmented,

o Files fragmented (at the end of the blocks)

o Fragmented Blocks,

then why is the defragmentation process starting at the beginning, and spinning its wheels on blocks not fragmented, and the page file?

Is something wrong with the logic here?

The fragmentation time started at 5+ hours, and then gradually dropped down to 1 minute and stayed there for more than 2+ Hours (both times) when I had to stop the process.

This is certainly a serious bug that prevents one from running the defragmentation process on a schedule (or not) every day or every night !!! The drive is not even 10% full.

System Specs: Win-7-Prof x64, Intel I5 (3rd Gen), 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2 GB Graphics RAM, 750 GB SATA 7200 rpm drive

post-64799-0-38972200-1353566164_thumb.jpg

Your map looks good. I'd leave it be. Excessive defragging invites premature drive failure.

The typical max seek time for a modern 7200 rpm hard disk is 9 milliseconds, so you'll see no performance improvement at 0% frag. When achieved, it lasts for only a few minutes before fragmenting again. Face it, fragmentation is the norm.

To defrag pagefile.sys you run a Boot Time Defrag. http://forum.pirifor...ndpost&p=225067

Defrag from the filelist. Free space consolidation is what is taking that much to finish. I do not use regular defrag just for that. Any new gaps created and DF will shuffle all data all around.

Would be nice to have two buttons on the "Files" tab dialog: "Select All" and "Deselect All"

Ram Todatry.