Running Defraggler from a live distro possible ?

Bethrezen

hi all

one of the things that has always impeded a successful de-fragmentation of a disk is the fact that most defrag software requires windows to be loaded before the de-fragmentation can occur the only program I've ever seen that was not restricted in this way was the Norton Utilities Disk De-fragmenter because that was able to load and run with out loading the OS much the same way that live distros of Linux work it just loads the whole thing in to memory so there is no or minimal disk involvement

I've seen other apps that do things like this as well a good example is the boot disk that Acronis disk director or true image can make that allows you to run the program with full graphical GUI with out the need for windows to be running thus allowing you to conduct operations which are just not possible otherwise and I'm wondering if it would be possible to add such a function to Defraggler?

The effect of this is two fold first off it allows to do a full disk defrag and optimisation of all files including ones which are normally locked with out the interference of the OS because the program is simply being loaded in to memory in a virtual OS thus eliminating the need for windows to be running just the same way live distros of Linux are or the same way Acronis disk director/True Image can load with full graphical GUI with out the need for windows.

the second effect of this is that its much faster because only the application and enough of the virtual environment to allow the programme to run is loaded so you don't have to deal with all the over head for the OS

one thing I've always wonders actually is would it be possible to run Defraggler from a live distros so that I can do a full disk defrag and optimisation of all files including ones which are normally locked ?

Defraggler uses Windows API's.

Microsoft has patents on most things, including the FAT file system.

They would not allow Piriform to issue a bootable Defraggler that included a bundle of Windows API's

I think your only hope is to find a de-fragment utility that can run under either a DOS look-a-like or Linux.