Erase freespace FREEZE

MacUser1234

Hello.

I have a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and when I use CCleaner Erase freespace 1.01.106 and have a spinning wheel (for 2 hours) with this message:

Started erase on disk0s2 Macintosh HD

Creating temporary file

Securely erasing file

Then later I got an error message on my Mac that the startup drive was now full ( I have 400GB available) !!

Thanks

• Moderators

Hi MacUser, and welcome to the forum.

I don't have a Mac, but I can show you the file CCleaner creates on an empty hard drive of my Windows machine ...

It's a single large file which eventually overwrites the free space, and is then deleted by CCleaner.

It sounds like CCleaner, for whatever reason, has failed to delete the file. This can happen sometimes if the process is interrupted, but from your description, it did seem to complete.

You can either look for that oddly named file and delete it, or you can try running WFS again, which usually fixes the problem.

Post back if neither options get your space back.

Hope that helps, and we have one or two Mac users on here who may be able to tell you where to look for the file. In Windows, it's created in the root directory, usually C:

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem and NO idea where to find that file. I'm also using a mac. I'm quite desperate because I have to put files on my external hard drive to actually open chrome because it crashes with 0kb available on my HD. It's not in the root directory and there is no file named that on my computer.

• Moderators

Please upgrade to Ccleaner mac 1.02.115 and rerun freespace wipe to see if this fixes the issue.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

this happened to me too. when i saw the free space getting close to 0, i hit stop, but it did go all the way to 0. i rebooted onto the windows side of my computer and ran WinDirStat, where i saw that everything was in the private/var/folders directory ("private" is a hidden folder). that directory had 2 directories in it, named hm and zz. it looks like those are a lot of temporary and cache folders/files. inside of one of them (sorry, don't remember which) there were a couple of files that added up to the free space i had lost. i deleted those 2, rebooted into osx, and my free space was back.

hope that helps...

• Moderators

Thanks for posting that ffbsoundguy, which does tie in with a find by one of our moderators "hazelnut" (I'm sure she won't mind me crediting her with the link) as to the whereabouts of the file or files created by WipeFreeSpace ...

http://forums.macrum...ad.php?t=695590

And some information I'll copy and paste from our developers ...

Depending on the Mac, the big temp file will be created in:

/private/var/root/.Trash/Recovered files

Somewhere in /var/folders/ (big file)

Running a command: find /var/folders -size +5G should find it

Not being a Mac guy I can't comment on that one way or the other, but please bear in mind that CCleaner is running the Macs own built in Wipe Tool, and you should let the process finish when the file or files will be automatically deleted.

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

Hi MacUser, and welcome to the forum.

I don't have a Mac, but I can show you the file CCleaner creates on an empty hard drive of my Windows machine ...

It's a single large file which eventually overwrites the free space, and is then deleted by CCleaner.

It sounds like CCleaner, for whatever reason, has failed to delete the file. This can happen sometimes if the process is interrupted, but from your description, it did seem to complete.

You can either look for that oddly named file and delete it, or you can try running WFS again, which usually fixes the problem.

Post back if neither options get your space back.

Hope that helps, and we have one or two Mac users on here who may be able to tell you where to look for the file. In Windows, it's created in the root directory, usually C:

Could you please upload that image again. It isn't loading for me, it says there is an error.