Restore Points Wiped or Corrupted

kxkvi

I just wanted to report two recent experiences with CCleaner, version 3.14, regarding the unwanted deletion or corruption of restore points.

The first experience was on a PC running Windows 7 (no service pack) 64-bit. The hard drive was a 1 Terabyte capacity drive, with over 900 GB of free space. Simply for the purpose of testing CCleaner on Win 7, I attempted to clean up some old restore points. Initially, there were about 20 or so, and I believe I selectively deleted about half of them with CCleaner version 3.14. Prior to using CCleaner, system restore seemed to work just fine. However, after deleting those points, I found I could no longer restore the system to any previous point. On my first restore attempt, the machine blue-screened, and I had to restart the PC. On a second attempt, Win 7 simply reported that it was unable to restore to the previous points. I created a fresh restore point, and subsequently was able to use it without any difficulty. No other issues have occured on that machine since that date, which was about 2 weeks ago.

The second experience was on a machine running Windows XP Pro SP3, 32-bit. The main hard drive is an 80 GB capacity drive with about 30 GB free on a 40 GB primary system partition. On that date, I noticed that my drive images were running a little heavy, size wise, so I did some housecleaning to lighten things up. Included in that housekeeping was the selective deletion of about 6 unneeded restore points, with about 4 remaining, again with CCleaner 3.14. On my second attempt to image the system, I noticed that it now was running a little on the light side. I fired up Treeview Pro to investigate, and looked at the various folder sizes on the C: drive. System Volume Information was reporting 0 Bytes of disk usage. I went into System Restore and confirmed this to be true; all of the restore points had been wiped from the drive. I also accessed System Volume Information to verify this, and all of the usual restore point folders were gone.

If anyone else has experienced these sorts of issues, I would appreciate hearing about it. Both of these experiences have taught me, the hard way, that the restore points are best left alone and undisturbed, at least for now.

Regards,

Thomas

If anyone else has experienced these sorts of issues, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Tom, a few months ago on my Vista pc I highlighted five or so points and deleted them. Later I discovered all my points were gone. Since then I delete the points singly and consequently haven't lost any on Vista or Win7.

Maybe it's a bug cos two of us suffered this.

Tom, a few months ago on my Vista pc I highlighted five or so points and deleted them. Later I discovered all my points were gone. Since then I delete the points singly and consequently haven't lost any on Vista or Win7.

Maybe it's a bug cos two of us suffered this.

Hi kroozer. Thanks for replying!

I think you're correct. I'm convinced that it is indeed a bug, and a very serious one that needs to be addressed. Those restore points are critically important. Since I've now been hit twice by this issue, I won't be using CCleaner to delete any more points until I see that it has been addressed in future release notes.

I'm glad you got a handle on it, and thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Best to you!

Thomas

• 11 months later...

Windows system restore points are being unintentionally deleted by CCleaner v. 3,27.1900, 64-bit (Jan. 25, 2013). I'm using Windows 7 PRO 64-bit and have been using CCleaner for a year or more. I thought it was odd in the past that CCleaner would not display any restore points under Tools/System Restore, but I never investigated it. But today, after installing the latest version, I noticed that there were several restore points listed (at least 5) by CCleaner. I then ran CCleaner, and now no restore points are listed. I checked Windows, and it only lists the last two restore points. The rest are gone. I noticed that people have reported this issue as far back as 2007 in this forum. What is the problem?

• Moderators

Jack if this is not the case than please start your own thread, as this is somebody else's; it sounds like you have wipe freespace check off or are using the drive wiper tool. Both of these will fill your drive and cause windows to delete restore points in order to meet its size restrictions.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com